Is GenCon still worth it?

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Morrus' announcement of Pronouns on GenCon Badges (Do NOT comment about that here. That is NOT what this thread is about!!) got me wondering if GenCon is still worth the trip with all the COVID stuff going on. I'd like to go before I die which, hopefully is 30 years off, but I also don't want to waste money.

What are the thoughts on this?

SAVeira

Adventurer
To be honest, I realize would like to go in person but not would not go in the current environment. The risks for me and family are still too great. I have had a great time going via the online con for the last two year. The first year was best as I got in some of the celebrity run games, which during the second seemed to be limited to in person.

Mind you, my case might be different from yours. I would be traveling from Canada. Internationally travel has several issues and increased expenses these days. Just going by the experience of a friend who travel from Canada to the US over Christmas to visit his mother and then the return home.

Retreater

Legend
My first GenCon was in the early 2000s after it had moved to Indianapolis. Since that time the attendance has tripled. It's gotten difficult to get into events, which sell out in minutes. The accommodations are frequently sold out. Every bar and restaurant in the vicinity is at maximum capacity with hours-long wait times.
Getting a chance to purchase a VIP badge is your only hope to get to do what you want, and that is very iffy.
GenCon has outgrown the space in Indianapolis. I think it's even outgrown the organizers' abilities to make it successful. Smaller cons don't have the same issues, are cheaper, friendlier, and more relaxed.
After going to GenCon every year since around 2004, I'm going to stop going and do virtual cons, Origins, and maybe the occasional smaller con like GaryCon or North Texas.
So, no, I don't think it's worth it.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
If I lived within an hour(ish)'s drive and were going in for a day trip and we weren't in the middle of the latest pandemic wave, I think it would be worth it. But at a 6 hour drive, needing to book a hotel room, and dealing with the crowds for multiple days... not really worth it.
I'll stick to the more local cons like Gamehole Con (20 min drive). Gary Con is about the limit I'm willing to go at an hour and a half long drive and smaller crowds - but even that's gotta wait until the pandemic settles down more and someone figures out how to fix my wife's long haul COVID disability (since the Grand Geneva has limited accessibility).

I can't speak for pandemic-era Gen Con. Right now, I don't think I could countenance going to Gen Con - they're trying to de-densify it, but only to a point. It's still way more crowded than I would feel comfortable with.

But prior (and presumably, at some point after), I would say that it was worth doing at least once, depending on what your costs and logistics for getting there are, unless you are particularly crowd-averse.

Having such a massive wealth of gaming options means you can customize your experience as much as you want. Want to work through a bunch of Adventurers League content? Want to check out the indies? Catch a new or old game run by the person that created it? Want to just wander around and demo games? Check out the cosplay or participate in the parade? You can do all of that as you see fit.

The dealers room is worth seeing, because there's nothing else like it. It's honestly overwhelming and exhausting, and should be divided into two different trips. There's just that much stuff there.

Beyond games, there's so much to do. I've checked out shows from The Gamers, Hello from the Magic Tavern, and more.

However, as @Retreater mentioned, things sell out super-quickly, and you have to really be on the ball for hotel and event registration. The applications always grind and groan under the load, and it can be stressful. Logistically, I prefer Origins - it's closer, less crowded, and generally easier to book (though event registration always finds a new way to glitch out, every year).

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
You will never know unless you go.

I started going back in 1985 and while not making every Gen Con have been to about 25 of them, some have been great, and some have been just okay, but I have never been disappointed.

People will say it is too crowded and talk about getting a close hotel, but that has always been an issue. Yes, there are smaller conventions, and some are very good but then, they are not Gen Con. Each has their own identity and cater to a local niche. It is important to remember Gen Con is a tabletop gaming convention and promotes that fanbase. It is not a movie/TV or comic fan convention; it is tabletop gaming. It has other events but not to scale of conventions that cater to those genres. So, make sure why you are going.

It is what you make of it.

I started going back in 1985 and while not making every Gen Con have been to about 25 of them, some have been great, and some have been just okay, but I have never been disappointed.

People will say it is too crowded and talk about getting a close hotel, but that has always been an issue.
Hotels have always been an issue, but the crowding is definitely new. I also have been going since Milwaukee days and the last five years or so have seen substantial changes that have led to me being less interested in Gen Con nowadays. Specifically:

Fewer Exciting Cool New Things
Obviously not specific to GenCon, but Gen Con was the place people used to release their new and cool product. Now it's on Kickstarter, more likely. I remember dashing off to my favorite companies to see what was new and exciting. Now, at best, I go to pick up my KS rewards from them. So the dealer hall experience is less exciting, and more of a search for things that went under my radar. Still fun, but a change from "WOW" to "nice".

Crowds
Maybe 5 years ago at the last Gen Con I went to, I made the mistake of trying to cross across the center near the dealer hall area as it was opening and it took my 20 minutes of being packed into a crowd. Covid or no Covid, that's just no fun. If you are short, you will see a lot of people's backs at GenCon

Game Variety
For GenCon I always look through the list of games on the search for smaller games and systems that I'd like to try out and see how they play. But recently they have been very hard to find. Looking through the list of games on offer, it's hard to find even relatively well-known smaller games. I used to look for the latest Paranoia, Godlike, One Ring, etc offerings -- but they are much rarer than they used to be. Maybe a lot of potential GMs have been put off by the following issue:

Ghosting Games
With the broadening of appeal of games (a good thing!) Gen Con now has a lot of people who are gently committed fans; not as "core gamer" as in previous years. This is a great thing for the hobby, but on a personal level it makes GenCon less fun. It used to be that if you ran a game, or played in one, you would be 90% sure that everyone would turn up. I recall in Milwaukee at the Cthulhu Masters that waiting for half an hour before a game so that you would be the earliest of the alternates if someone dropped was almost expected. Nowadays I pretty much expect that up to half the people simply won't show because they double-booked, or were having a fun conversation, or so on. It's particularly bad at GenCon because the total cost is so high, that the financial cost of missing a game is effectively zero. You might as well buy tickets for every possible hour of the day and then just go to ones as the day turns out. For smaller cons, I find this is is not the case -- perhaps because there's less to do than actually game!

----------------

Overall, GenCon doesn't feel like "The Best Four Days in Gaming" anymore -- it feels like "The Best Four Days in Gaming Culture". It's a great place to hang with friends, experience the community and wander around seeing what people are into. But for actually playing games -- which is really why I go to cons -- it's a poor return on time and money. So if you want the experience of Gaming Culture, or if you've never been to Gen Con before, absolutely go for it! But if you actually want to play games, maybe look elsewhere.

Remove ads