D&D 5E Is Grapple forced movement supposed to care about carrying capacity?

How does grapple forced movement factor in carrying capacity?

• 4) Other: Something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The rule says, “you can drag or carry the grappled creature with you,” and I choose to interpret the words drag and carry as the same words in the rules for lifting and carrying.
But as fluffybunbunkittens has already mentioned, the movement rules with respect to moving around the creature you're grappling already deviate from the rules for dragging and carrying. So any inference that you should interpret drag and carry as using the same rules on page 176 is weakened. Better to just not worry about it since there's already a rule in place to keep a player from grappling (and thus moving) anything 2 sizes larger than themselves.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
You're not lifting them. Nothing in the game lets you do something cool as that.

It's mostly the maneuvering for greco-roman wrestling, so no carrying capacity.
I don't think that's true. All you have to do as a player is say "I want to lift them overhead."

It could be as simple as an Athletics check after that. Just because there isn't a specific rule for it doesn't mean you can't do it.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Weight isnt important, so I put it down to skill. It might be applying leverage to flip them over your hip, it might be bodily dragging them, it might be forcing them to walk in the direction you choose. Dont need specific mechanics the effect is the same…

But encumbrance is an optional role in 5e. So in the default game this is expected to be handled by an Ability Check.
Encumbrance in the same exact listing as making any kinds of ability checks, so it's only optional in the sense that you can choose to ignore any rule. That said, I agree with the sentiment - they want to do something, just roll for it, much simpler than wondering how many stones someone's got in their backpack.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Encumbrance in the same exact listing as making any kinds of ability checks, so it's only optional in the sense that you can choose to ignore any rule. That said, I agree with the sentiment - they want to do something, just roll for it, much simpler than wondering how many stones someone's got in their backpack.
Checking the PHB, Carrying Capacity is part of the default rules and Encumbrance is optional.

But even according to those rules, there isn't really a limit to what you can lift, it's just that your speed drops to 0:

Push, Drag, or Lift. You can push, drag, or lift a weight in pounds up to twice your carrying capacity (or 30 times your Strength score). While pushing or dragging weight in excess of your carrying capacity, your speed drops to 5 feet.

Checking the PHB, Carrying Capacity is part of the default rules and Encumbrance is optional.
Aa, the official name isn't variant encumbrance, implying the default is encumbrance, but it's variant: encumbrance. Oops.

But even according to those rules, there isn't really a limit to what you can lift, it's just that your speed drops to 0:
It literally states the limit is twice your carrying capacity, though? Your speed is 5ft if it goes over once your carrying capacity.

Remove ads