Is Greyhawk Relevant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
Still seems a little strange that we didn't really get a solid announcement on a campaign setting for 2011. We have the separate Ravenloft game - OK. We have the Nentir Vale book which I guess will still be "generic" as far as not being specifically tied to Eberron or the Realms or Greyhawk. I suppose that could be it for the year but I'm kind of hoping that there will be an announcement at a later date.

I saw some good points made about nostalgia and Mystara - upon further review I could see that, or my own inclination that Greyhawk would tie in with the theme of the year, or a completely new world. If Nentir Vale is it then it seems a little ...scaled back. One of the aspects of 4E's production & presentation that I have really liked is the one-setting-per-year approach that keeps the game from getting bogged down in 100 Realms booklets + 50 Eberron supplements + 2-3 Greyhawk items + some Dragonlance Books etc. It's "support" without trampling the thing under 10 tons of over-detailed supplements and metaplot and I think it's a wonderful compromise, so I'm sorry to see it (as of right now anyway) going away.

Ah well - Greyhawk is still relevant to ME even if it takes 4th edition off...

Odhanan

Adventurer
Greyhawk is more relevant to me right now than it ever was before.
The rest, to paraphrase Shakespeare, is silence to my ears at this point.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Still seems a little strange that we didn't really get a solid announcement on a campaign setting for 2011. We have the separate Ravenloft game - OK. We have the Nentir Vale book which I guess will still be "generic" as far as not being specifically tied to Eberron or the Realms or Greyhawk. I suppose that could be it for the year but I'm kind of hoping that there will be an announcement at a later date.

The Ravenloft game is the 2011 setting. It's just being presented a bit differently.

lordxaviar

Explorer
Is Greyhawk Relevant? I'm sure that many of us have played at some point or another in the world of Greyhawk. This was Gygax's world, home to some of the greatest classic dungeons in D&D. It is for that nostalgia factor that we hold it in such high regards.

Yet as time has gone on and the hobby has evolved, I have to wonder if it still holds up all these years later

First without getting too demeaning... D and D has not Evolved! it is gone... 4 E is so far from Gary's idea of a Medieval War game, to the point of Monty haul on crack, it is the exact opposite of where he wanted to go.

But that Aside, i hope that they don't re-release Oerth into 4.0 it would ruin it. I just hope that Hasbro will one day wake up and allow the sale and continued existence of the older versions of D an D.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
First without getting too demeaning... D and D has not Evolved! it is gone... 4 E is so far from Gary's idea of a Medieval War game, to the point of Monty haul on crack, it is the exact opposite of where he wanted to go.

But that Aside, i hope that they don't re-release Oerth into 4.0 it would ruin it. I just hope that Hasbro will one day wake up and allow the sale and continued existence of the older versions of D an D.

You know, I don't mind a thread being resurrected for the sake of further discussion. Thread necromancy for the sake of bashing 4th edition (not 4.0) is not cool.

Maybe 4th edition isn't the game that Gary Gygax helped to create alongside Dave Arneson. From what I know of Gary (and this is third-hand knowledge at best), he may not have been as into the more recent versions of the D&D game, but he was just happy that people were playing. That's what truly matters.

If Greyhawk was ever to be re-released, it would undoubtedly be different from Gary's vision. I would like to think, though, that whoever wrote it would create a version that not only included 4th edition elements, but also held true to Gary's vision as much as possible.

I'm not sure I see a need for a new Greyhawk product. LGG pretty much capped it -- it is generic enough to be essentially edition-free, but has sufficient detail to provide a large number detailed campaigns of a varietty of types. Sure, it doesn't have any 4E Greyhawk-specific crunch in it, but is that really why you buy a campaign setting?

There's not really any canon to update, either. Sure, it would be great to see more Oerth Journal-type articles and flesh out smaller settings, perhaps, but it's really not necessary.

D&D still IS Greyhawk, and Greyhawk IS D&D -- and for those of us that love the setting, we have plenty to use on up through 6th, 7th, 8th editions ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads