D&D 5E Is Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden the New D&D Adventure?

It looks likely that the upcoming D&D adventure is indeed an Icewind Dale based storyline called Rime of the Frostmaiden!

It looks likely that the upcoming D&D adventure is indeed an Icewind Dale based storyline called Rime of the Frostmaiden! I can't vouch for the veracity of this, but I was cc'd into a Tweet by Navy DM on Twitter who says they found it on Reddit.

Feel the cold touch of death in this adventure for the world's greatest role playing game.

UPDATE -- the awesome Geek Native ran the small cover screenshot through an image enhancing application, to create the larger image below.

iw_frostmaiden.jpg

There's a post here on Reddit which says "The DnD Beyond YouTube channel posted a trailer for a new book, Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, then immediately deleted it." The post has been removed since. I found the above image posted by somebody called smightmight, who looks like they screen grabbed it from the video before it was removed.

The Frostmaiden is one of the names of Auril, an evil goddess in the Forgotten Realms. You can read more about her on the Forgotten Realms wiki.

Rime is ice which forms from water droplets on surfaces.

An Icewind Dale setting was the current favourite guess for the location of the new D&D adventure based on various hints from WotC, including this snowy owlbear t-shirt!

0B449D65-06ED-4295-8752-AA3A8023228C.png

(thanks to Pixellance for pointing me at this!)

CapnZapp

Legend
I ran Legacy as my first 5E adventure. Obviously all the NPC stats had to be replaced, but otherwise there's a lot of good stuff there.

Only thing the didn't work for my players was the three-pronged approach, that caused more frustration than verisimilitude.

So long as I can kill him and steal his stuff.

I don't think he is still living in Icewind Dale C1401 DR. Which is probably a good thing, or there would be nothing left for the PCs to do with a 20th level Marty Sue knocking around.

Considering all the 5E hardcover adventures are set at about 1491 DR or so, that is a 90-year difference, unless your post was just a typo and you meant 1491. :)

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
On a more serious note, I've always liked winter/cold/artic-themed stuff since the snowtroopers in The Empire Strikes Back. So, this is probably going to be a pre-order for me.

Starfinder has been a general disappointment. WEG Star Wars D6 did the genre better 30 years ago.

Strong agree, yeah. SW D6 is fascinating, because when I first met it, in like 1990, I was unimpressed and thought it was "for old people" (forgive me, I was 12), but it was the SW RPG, so we played it, and it played well. Then the DM bought the Darkstryder campaign for it in like 1995 or something, and oh my god, that was easily the greatest pre-written campaign I've ever played in any game, never seen one as good. The huge "cast" and forcing you to pick multiple characters to play was absolute genius. I still think about it often.

I am a bit disapointed to see Icewind Dale as I would have much prefered a planar adventure. As usual, I'll get it anways as the collector in me wouldn't be happy not to have it. But a planar AP would have been nice. FR, though fun, should stay on hold for a while. A few AP in Eberron would have been nice too.

I am a bit disapointed to see Icewind Dale as I would have much prefered a planar adventure. As usual, I'll get it anways as the collector in me wouldn't be happy not to have it. But a planar AP would have been nice. FR, though fun, should stay on hold for a while. A few AP in Eberron would have been nice too.
Hmmm...

What if they did a book like Yawning portal, but for their new settings?

So a book with like two Ravnica adventures, two Eberron, two Theros, two Wildemount...

That'd be pretty sick.

Remove ads

Remove ads