D&D 5E Is Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden the New D&D Adventure?

It looks likely that the upcoming D&D adventure is indeed an Icewind Dale based storyline called Rime of the Frostmaiden!

It looks likely that the upcoming D&D adventure is indeed an Icewind Dale based storyline called Rime of the Frostmaiden! I can't vouch for the veracity of this, but I was cc'd into a Tweet by Navy DM on Twitter who says they found it on Reddit.

Feel the cold touch of death in this adventure for the world's greatest role playing game.

UPDATE -- the awesome Geek Native ran the small cover screenshot through an image enhancing application, to create the larger image below.

iw_frostmaiden.jpg

There's a post here on Reddit which says "The DnD Beyond YouTube channel posted a trailer for a new book, Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, then immediately deleted it." The post has been removed since. I found the above image posted by somebody called smightmight, who looks like they screen grabbed it from the video before it was removed.

The Frostmaiden is one of the names of Auril, an evil goddess in the Forgotten Realms. You can read more about her on the Forgotten Realms wiki.

Rime is ice which forms from water droplets on surfaces.

An Icewind Dale setting was the current favourite guess for the location of the new D&D adventure based on various hints from WotC, including this snowy owlbear t-shirt!

0B449D65-06ED-4295-8752-AA3A8023228C.png

(thanks to Pixellance for pointing me at this!)

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm hoping for a sandbox like the two starter boxes, but doubt it comes. It would be nice if it wasn't another cult driven story.........

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I miss the days when we also got small adventures, like 3-levels worth, rather than only massive adventure paths.
In addition to all the other suggestions on this thread, you might want to check the Adventurer's League (AL) modules. They vary widely in quality, but that was true of the individual adventures published in previous editions too. And there are some real gems among them. Several are currently being offered for free, so you've got nothing to lose by giving them a look:

Dungeon Masters Guild - D&D Adventurers League -

Just bring back Dungeon and the problem is solved.
Virtually every issue of Dragon+ has a free adventure for download from the DM's Guild. It's basically just WotC putting their official stamp of approval on something submitted to them, just as they would have done in the days of Dungeon magazine. The only difference is that the adventure doesn't have the WotC logo on it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Does Icewind Dale count as the Sword Coast? Isnt it the Frozenfar? Most maps from 5e we have for the Coast doesnt show any locations for the Dale. IIRC, the setting was created expressly by Salvator for his books and wasnt even a part of FR before that.

Doesnt most of HotDQ and Descent (pre-Avernus) also focused on the Heartlands? Despite its name, not all that touches the Sea of Sword is part of the region named Sword Coast.

Icewind Dale is covered in the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide. By the 5E, broader usage, it's still part of the Sword Coast region.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Maybe, but you can't tell which ones are good because there is no editorial oversight. Editing is highly underrated by both game creators and consumers, and is probably the second most important aspect of the industry (after actual game design).

Does anyone know of a website or blog that keeps track of DMsGuild adventures and/or reviews them.

Dragon+ does help by highlighting options and even offering deals on them.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Technically you're probably right, I don't think it is officially the Sword Coast because of it's far north location

Maybe I spent too much time analyzing settings, but to me, the Sword Coast starts at Baldur's Gate and ends at Waterdeep. To the south is the Heartlands which spread from the Coast to Cormyr, and Further South is the Land of Intrigue, then the Golden Lands. Between Waterdeep and the Spine to the North and between the Coast and the Anauroch is The North. Between the High Forest and the Spine is the Savage Frontier and the Silver Marches. Beyond the Spine is the Frozenfar, comprising Icewind Dale, Aurilsberg, the land of the Reghed barbs.

So yeah, when people are like ''oh not again with a Sword Coast AP!!!'', my brain automatically go in ''well, actually'' mode :p

Zaukrie

New Publisher
BTW, for those that don't know somehow......WotC is giving away free stuff every day right now....much of it is adventures. Some look good, some not as good.......but you can get a feel for stuff that way.

As for DMSGuild, it is very hard to tell what a good adventure is or is not.........and I've bought bundles to check out authors. Even that is hit and miss......

Nebulous

Legend
I'm perfectly fine with 1-10 adventure paths, that's the zone of DnD I prefer anyway and I have enjoyed the stories thus far they've put out. Well, I've only run a few of them, but I liked them. Curse of Strahd might be the best so far.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Icewind Dale is covered in the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide. By the 5E, broader usage, it's still part of the Sword Coast region.

I know it is, but it received something like as much content as Evereska, Evermeet, The Moonshea and Lantan, which are definetly not part of the Coast :p By that definition, half of Fearun is ''The Coast'' and to have an AP not set on the Coast would require an AP set in something like Sembia or Chessenta (to which I'm absolutely not opposed, mind you)

Remove ads

Remove ads