D&D 5E Is Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden the New D&D Adventure?

It looks likely that the upcoming D&D adventure is indeed an Icewind Dale based storyline called Rime of the Frostmaiden!

It looks likely that the upcoming D&D adventure is indeed an Icewind Dale based storyline called Rime of the Frostmaiden! I can't vouch for the veracity of this, but I was cc'd into a Tweet by Navy DM on Twitter who says they found it on Reddit.

Feel the cold touch of death in this adventure for the world's greatest role playing game.

UPDATE -- the awesome Geek Native ran the small cover screenshot through an image enhancing application, to create the larger image below.

iw_frostmaiden.jpg

There's a post here on Reddit which says "The DnD Beyond YouTube channel posted a trailer for a new book, Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, then immediately deleted it." The post has been removed since. I found the above image posted by somebody called smightmight, who looks like they screen grabbed it from the video before it was removed.

The Frostmaiden is one of the names of Auril, an evil goddess in the Forgotten Realms. You can read more about her on the Forgotten Realms wiki.

Rime is ice which forms from water droplets on surfaces.

An Icewind Dale setting was the current favourite guess for the location of the new D&D adventure based on various hints from WotC, including this snowy owlbear t-shirt!

0B449D65-06ED-4295-8752-AA3A8023228C.png

(thanks to Pixellance for pointing me at this!)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Can’t say I agree with that at all. A few years back, I ran a homebrew episodic campaign. I kicked it off with the “Trouble in Red Larch” intro adventure from PotA. Later I ran Neverlight Grove from OotA as a trippy Halloween episode. I also used the fire cult base and dungeon from PotA as a different episode. I used the Amber Temple from CoS. And so on. All with minimal effort to cut and paste. No issues with making no sense decontextualised.

Yeah, precisely. The various chapters are going through have differing quality, but pretty much across the board they are relatively simple to remove from their original context.

These books really are not tight "Adventure Paths" any more than GDQ or other old school examples I've seen.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah. I'm that piece of trash that will buy any 5e book for D&D published by WotC, as well as some 3rd party content (Tome of Beasts, etc.)
I have every 5e book published by WotC besides Rise of Tiamat.

I own mist if it but stopped buying everything when I felt the quality dropped and the adventures were becoming very hit or miss.

Not salty about it I don't think it's possible to consistently write great adventures. Paizo couldn't do it and I think they're better at it than WotC.

ddaley

Explorer
I own mist if it but stopped buying everything when I felt the quality dropped and the adventures were becoming very hit or miss.

Not salty about it I don't think it's possible to consistently write great adventures. Paizo couldn't do it and I think they're better at it than WotC.

I am not sure Paizo has come up with an inspiring adventure for StarFinder yet. I have been looking for an excuse to try that.

Zardnaar

Legend
I am not sure Paizo has come up with an inspiring adventure for StarFinder yet. I have been looking for an excuse to try that.

IDK Starfinder doesn't appeal.

Dungeon had a few great adventures under their tenure and several of the APs are really good or individual sections are.

ddaley

Explorer
IDK Starfinder doesn't appeal.

Dungeon had a few great adventures under their tenure and several of the APs are really good or individual sections are.

I haven't played through any of the Paizo adventure paths for Pathfinder yet... though I do own some and have read parts of them. They do seem to be good. I wouldn't mind seeing some of them converted to 5e. I would definitely buy those.

Zardnaar

Legend
I haven't played through any of the Paizo adventure paths for Pathfinder yet... though I do own some and have read parts of them. They do seem to be good. I wouldn't mind seeing some of them converted to 5e. I would definitely buy those.

Depends on the AP.

They had more hits in say a 5 year period than 5Es in a similar timeframe.

I think it's also a problem with longer adventures. What makes LMoP so good is it finished at level 5.

Imagine trying to make LMoP 3 or 4 times over out to level 15/20.

There isn't really a formula for great adventures. WotC/Paizo is about the closest they've come as the meh adventures tend towards average not god awful.

Remove ads

Remove ads