D&D 5E is it a big deal? Battle master fighter and Human variant...

Chaosmancer

Legend
It's just your table. Every table is different.

At my table it's Darkvision.

Everyone has to have Darkvision all the time. The guys wouldn't pick human if it got two free feats!

I can hear it now" I will play a human with two feats, if you make Darkvision a feat".

Oh yeah, Darkvision is huge. To the point where it is almost hard to remember who doesn't have it because so many people do.

PnPgamer

Explorer
*Standing offer: You could always bribe me (the DM) & I'll let anybody have a bonus feat at 1st lv. I accept pizza. The variant human players? They get the feat without the bribe.
(our current game has 2 wood elves, 2 1/2elves, 1 variant human, 1 earth genisia, & 1 tiefling. Nobody bribed me :()
what if a player playing variant human bribed you?

Al2O3

Explorer
At my table the Variant Human is the only human even considered. When we for once started a campaign with no extra way of gaining extra feats we had a all-human party (with no new human PCs replacing any casualties). To me, the bigger issues are magic and darkvision. Even the players who dislike to play spellcasters (because too many options) tend to play them anyway. When we do see fighters at the table, they are Eldritch Knights (even in the campaign where magic is outlawed in the city where it takes place). So battlemaster and the related feat are not any issues at all.

Remove ads