Is it a standard action to hold onto a net?

Tharkon

First Post
How about making holding on to a net cost no actions but the one in the net gets a free Strength check whenever the one holding the net would provoke an attack of opportunity. Also consider the fact that if they're holding the net with their off-hand they only get half their Strength bonus. If the trapped person wins the check they can make one move action at the start of their next round, without needing an opposed Strength check.

When I am under attack I can attack anyone else while still defending myself from the attacker, but if I drink a potion etc, then I get attacks of opportunity.
Defending yourself doesn't sound easier than holding on to piece of rope, so apply the rule the same way, except for the actions available during the AoO and the threat range.

Tharkon

First Post
Another reason why holding on to a net shouldn't cost any actions:
Doing it without the net doesn't require any.

When you're in a grapple, you don't need to spend an action to maintain the grapple, you spend an action to escape it.

Holding on to a rope should be easier than holding on to another person, IMO.

Noumenon

First Post
When you're in a grapple, you don't need to spend an action to maintain the grapple, you spend an action to escape it.

It is worth noting that Pathfinder changed this rule so you do need to actively maintain the grapple. And grapple does require you to sacrifice a lot of other actions (AoOs, weapon attacks, your move, your ability to attack other targets). I feel pretty good about requiring some focus on the net (your move action, one of your hands, and a free Str check when you do really distracting things that would provoke AoOs).

Remove ads