Is It Anathema to Take A Heroic Feat w/ a Paragon Feat Slot

So I have this Lvl 12 Goliath Rageblood Barbarian/Dreadnaught. We don't use the Expertise feats, and his feats are:

Hide Armor Expertise (which even after the nerf, he needs)

Goliath Great Weapon Prowess (but of course)

Durable (which he needs for he is in my "delving" play group.")

Toughness (because he's a front-liner)

Student of the Blade (because becoming a Dreadnaught was the best decision he ever made)

Headman's Chop (because he knocks people prone all the time, and so does everyone else in the group)

(P)Agile Opportunist (maybe the most tentative of the group of feats I might say, but we have a cunning bard, and a druid with chill wind, and when he starts getting slid, he destroys things)

Now I must choose a feat. At the optimization boards there are a few decent paragon feats to choose from, but most are damage or hit-points based, and one for Rage Strike, which he sometimes uses, but sometimes does not. He probably does need paragon defenses, but, it's so boring, and he's already tough.

The feat i like is the Heroic Feat, Reckless Charge, he had it before and it was handy, and I'm a big fan of to-hit bonuses, the -2 AC was nothing.

So I really want to choose that feat with my paragon feat slot, but I was wondering if that was kind of irrational to do, other than for the obvious feats, like the Expertise feats (but we dont use them and do the +1/+2/+3-thing)

I thought about maybe Specializing in Hide?

But is it cool to choose a Heroic feat with a Paragon feat slot?

Last edited:

Mentat55

First Post
I think many heroic tier feats are just as good, if not better, than many paragon feats. It all depends on the character, and frankly, if you want to take Reckless Charge, go for it!

renau1g

First Post
Whatever you feel is better for your PC, tier doesn't matter when I look at feats, but rather is it good for my PC. Toughness is a heroic tier feat, but even at Epic it's (IMO) one of the best feats for a melee PC.

Hejdun

First Post
If you think a Heroic tier feat would be better than a Paragon tier feat, go ahead and take it. There are so many feats out there anymore that it's easily possible that a heroic feat is better for your character than any paragon feats.

Stalker0

Legend
Agreement with everyone else. While a lot of times paragon feats are stronger than heroic, sometimes that heroic feat just fits what you need perfectly.

keterys

First Post
Unyielding Stone would probably let you net a fair amount of temp hp, if you want another option.

Deadly Rage should give you +2 damage for... well, depends how many combats you guys do. Normally I'd say most combats, since you can do three rages in three of four or so combats, but if you're taking Durable on a Con-based barbarian, then I'm wondering if you're doing more like 8-10 combats.

It's amusing to have +2 AC being _needed_ and -2 AC being _nothing_ :)

Mengu

First Post
It's not uncommon for me to not be able to squeeze in a feat like weapon focus or improved armor of faith during heroic, and I might end up picking it up at paragon. Sometimes you don't qualify for a feat you want until paragon when you get the stat bump. It's also a matter of priorities, sometimes there are initial paragon level priorities, and then you might come back to a heroic feat. I can even see heroic feats at epic, such as a sorcerer who gets up to 13 con at epic, and picks up hide armor.

Samir

Explorer
I agree, sometimes you just can't squeeze in all the Heroic tier feats you want in your first 10 levels. Taking them in Paragon is just fine.

Off topic, is the reason you took Student of the Sword because you didn't have enough Wis for Battle Awareness?

Remove ads