D&D 5E Is it houseruling to let a torch set fire to things?

Is it houseruling to allow a burning torch to set fire to another torch?

• Yes

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • No

Votes: 162 96.4%

Uchawi

First Post
Define house rule. Is it a new rule, or re-interpreting an existing one. I believe it is both. Because the next table can rule differently. House rules define the undefined.

I think, when making rulings, there is a difference between "can I set fire to something with a torch" and "I use my attack action to hit the orc with a torch, so he should have to make a Dex save or catch fire." Circumstances matter.

Yardiff

Adventurer
Pretty much it comes down what you believe 'House Rule' means. Does it mean only changing 'Hard' (RAW) rules or does it also mean any 'ruling' that makes your table (house) different from other tables (house)?

Rhenny

Adventurer
You say tomato, I say tomato. Interpretation - "rulings" not "rules"

I ran a game a few weeks ago where the party was fighting an invisible stalker. They knew it was close, but they were not sure where it was. One of the players had a pretty cool idea. He wanted to take out an oil flask and light a torch. Then he wanted to spray the oil out so that it would splash a larger area and light on fire. He didn't care at all about damage. He just wanted the oil to stick to the invisible stalker and give them a better chance to see it. I ran with it and made the stalker make a dexterity check instead of having the player roll a to hit. The stalker failed so I ruled that the flaming oil splashed on it and did 1d3 damage and would burn until the stalker's next turn. This gave 2 or 3 of the other PCs a chance to attack it without disadvantage. I thought it was a pretty cool idea and it played well. It was a "ruling" not "rules" decision.

You say tomato, I say tomato. Interpretation - "rulings" not "rules"

I ran a game a few weeks ago where the party was fighting an invisible stalker. They knew it was close, but they were not sure where it was. One of the players had a pretty cool idea. He wanted to take out an oil flask and light a torch. Then he wanted to spray the oil out so that it would splash a larger area and light on fire. He didn't care at all about damage. He just wanted the oil to stick to the invisible stalker and give them a better chance to see it. I ran with it and made the stalker make a dexterity check instead of having the player roll a to hit. The stalker failed so I ruled that the flaming oil splashed on it and did 1d3 damage and would burn until the stalker's next turn. This gave 2 or 3 of the other PCs a chance to attack it without disadvantage. I thought it was a pretty cool idea and it played well. It was a "ruling" not "rules" decision.

Interesting tactic. I would just cast Darkness and be done. (Now both sides can't see each other.)

Remove ads