D&D 5E Is it houseruling to let a torch set fire to things?

Is it houseruling to allow a burning torch to set fire to another torch?

• Yes

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • No

Votes: 162 96.4%

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Clearly covered in the rules. PHB pg 6. How to Play. Also DMG pg 4 under duties of a DM.

Oh man what a can of worms!!

If you allow this then next thing you know players will want to be able to be soaking wet after their character jumps in a lake.

A warm strong wind might dry things out faster.

Players may figure out that adding water to dirt can make mud, and who knows where that may lead!

So please please, in an effort to forestall these important questions and other mysteries of the universe, forget that this question was ever asked.

Thank you.

seebs

Adventurer
In another thread, the following question has arisen: Is it houseruling to allow a PC to use a burning torch to set fire to a flammable object?

Especially: Is it houseruling to allow a PC to use a burning torch to set fire to another torch?

Page 68 of the SRD, in the entry for tinderboxes, describes torches as having "abundant, exposed fuel" (which permits them to be lit with an action rather than taking a minute). Page 68 also tells us that a hit with a burning torch deals 1 hp of fire damage. And p 97 tells us that "Red dragons breathe fire, and many spells conjure flames to deal fire damage."

So the rules suggest there is a close connection of some sort between being a flame or a fire source and dealing fire damage.

But they don't actually say that a lit torch can set fire to another torch.

So, would that be houseruling, or otherwise changing RAW?

I actually had roughly this argument once on the PF rules forums. Here, though, it's not a houserule. It's a ruling. DM's call what ignites what.

So the rules suggest there is a close connection of some sort between being a flame or a fire source and dealing fire damage.

I think the consensus in this thread is interesting (but, of course, correct).

I suspect the moment that you read those words you'll know exactly what I'm getting at. What was it, 2...3 years ago when we had the "can fire effects in 4e set things afire?" There was not a consensus here. In fact, there was a number of 4e detractors who were unwavering in their opinion of "no, that would be a houserule." Despite the (imo insurmountable) evidence to the contrary being that the effects in the game are entirely key-word driven and fire effects have the (shocker) Fire keyword:

"Explosive bursts, fiery rays, or simple ignition."

noun: ignition

* the action of setting something on fire or starting to burn.​

I sometimes think RPG nerdism is more partisan than Football Hooliganism. If we were all face to face arguing over fire effects, we would be knifing each other up and overturning each others' cars, there can be no doubt! Cats and dogs living together. Mass hysteria.

Lehrbuch

First Post
Is it houseruling to let a torch set fire to things?

No. It is terrible housekeeping. Probably indicative of an absence of appropriate houserules.

The houserules that you need are:
  1. Pick up all discarded torches and place in a fireproof receptacle. Even if you think they are extinguished. You may like to keep a sturdy barrel of water in the corner of the room for this purpose.
  2. Keep drapery fixed tidily away from sconces. Always check the wall above is clear before placing a lit torch in a sconce.
  3. Take extra care when you or others are wearing flowing capes, long robes, etc, near lit torches. Especially, if the person is performing dramatic turns, pirouettes, or such-like movements.

Yardiff

Adventurer
To thoses who post here....

Do you consider your interpretation of what 'house rule' means to be the only way that 'house rule' can be used?

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM
In another thread, the following question has arisen: Is it houseruling to allow a PC to use a burning torch to set fire to a flammable object?

Especially: Is it houseruling to allow a PC to use a burning torch to set fire to another torch?

Page 68 of the SRD, in the entry for tinderboxes, describes torches as having "abundant, exposed fuel" (which permits them to be lit with an action rather than taking a minute). Page 68 also tells us that a hit with a burning torch deals 1 hp of fire damage. And p 97 tells us that "Red dragons breathe fire, and many spells conjure flames to deal fire damage."

:(
The authors assume your not completely stupid. That's why there's no rules for self-obvious things.....
Apparently they are wrong.

S

Sunseeker

No, I don't think so.

I routinely allow my players to destroy any flammable object with careless use of fire. A small library of valuable materials was destroyed not too long ago this way.

I'm not really sure why this is a question. D&D is a game of exceptions. Can't trumps can. By default fire sets flammable things well, on fire. So the rules only need to state when that doesn't happen. The game assumes fairly standard IRL physics any time it doesn't say otherwise.

Why is this a question?

Remove ads