D&D 5E Is It Impossible To Benefit From 'One With Shadows'?

Apcbox

First Post
What if you cast a spell, which is a action. The turn before you use "one with shadows" and than keep concentration on it. (Which i believe if I'm correct doesn't cant as a action). Does that work? Or what would rule wise happen?

What if in 1 turn you cast levitate on your self. Which lets you move up and down etc. during your move. (Which I'm btw also wondering about if this is a action or not). And than the next turn you take the action to use one with the shadows. And just keep concentrating? Are you invisible and floating around?

And what if its just concentrating like with another spell. Can you cast it turn before and than use one with shadows and be invisible while concentrating on that spell? Or did i miss something.

What if you cast a spell, which is a action. The turn before you use "one with shadows" and than keep concentration on it. (Which i believe if I'm correct doesn't cant as a action). Does that work? Or what would rule wise happen?

What if in 1 turn you cast levitate on your self. Which lets you move up and down etc. during your move. (Which I'm btw also wondering about if this is a action or not). And than the next turn you take the action to use one with the shadows. And just keep concentrating? Are you invisible and floating around?

And what if its just concentrating like with another spell. Can you cast it turn before and than use one with shadows and be invisible while concentrating on that spell? Or did i miss something.

One with Shadows doesnt take concentration, but if you move via levitation while using it, your invisibility ends.

The easy fix is to allow the Hide action while invisible without breaking One with shadows invisibility. I allow the Hide action and movement, but the invisibility ends if you take any other action, or leave the darkness or dim light.

Dont get me wrong; the ability is still OK as is (there are plenty of advantages to being invisible, even if you're not also hidden) but it irks me you cant use the Hide action (which is really just a mechanical representation of you standing still and trying to keep quiet while unseen) while invisible in such a way.

Pauln6

Hero
Dungeon masters can use (shock) common sense. If there is a lot of noise, you don't even have to require a stealth check to say the invisible warlock is hidden. Look at the intelligence of the enemies. Would they be able to work out what is going on? Can the Warlock bluff and pretend to have teleportation? Can one of your allies create a distraction? Use the stealth rules as a guide.

That said, they are very explicit that dim light on its own is NOT enough to hide in. Don't hand wave that away but allow specific exceptions to the general rule.

Last edited:

Remove ads