Is it just me or is the spell Rope Trick kind of absurd?

But the climb doesn't even call for an ability check anyway, so ...
The climb doesn't specifically not call for an ability check, either. Whether or not it requires a check to climb a free-standing rope is one of those things that's left up to DM interpretation. There's certainly nothing in the spell description to indicate that this rope is easier to climb than other ropes.

Li Shenron

Legend
What is absurd, is treating an "hour" as 600 rounds exactly. It reminds me of the nonsense tactic of casting a buffing spell seconds before rolling a ST to resolve the outcome of a 24 hours condition (e.g. 3e energy drain and negative levels).

I suppose many gamers protest at the cinema each time a movie marketed as 2 hours long actually lasts 1 hour and 58 minutes? Insult the driver when the bus is scheduled to leave at 8:35 and leaves at 8:35 and 10 seconds? Divorce when the wife "5 minutes more" at the shopping mall becomes just a mere couple of hours more?

guachi

Hero
People who have anger or control problems tend to do that. Check out the article from a few days ago written by a former cable tv technician about her various house calls.

Not exactly. A short rest is at least an hour. This spell last exactly an hour, including getting into the space. Even if the rope is near non-existent, it still takes time.

But that's not even the point. the point is the spell is needlessly ambiguous, and that's always annoying.

The spell isnt ambiguous. Its a 'safe short rest in a can without worrying about random monsters'. It's clear thats what the spell does, and is largely designed to do (plus other creative uses).

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The spell isnt ambiguous. Its a 'safe short rest in a can without worrying about random monsters'. It's clear thats what the spell does, and is largely designed to do (plus other creative uses).

Really? it's clear?

The spell expressly states you have to climb a rope to get in (yes it can be a short rope but still).

It expressly states that the contents of the space are dumped out the second the spell ends.

Both of these point to time constraints that make even a short rest tricky. The fact that most DMs (me included if it comes to it) won't quibble and will allow the short rest doesn't change the fact that the spell is both ambiguous and silly.

Is a short rest probably what the spell was designed for (plus other creative uses)? It seems to make the most sense. But to try and defend it as some kind of paragon of clear writing - I don't think so.

mortwatcher

Explorer
Really? it's clear?

The spell expressly states you have to climb a rope to get in (yes it can be a short rope but still).

It expressly states that the contents of the space are dumped out the second the spell ends.

Both of these point to time constraints that make even a short rest tricky. The fact that most DMs (me included if it comes to it) won't quibble and will allow the short rest doesn't change the fact that the spell is both ambiguous and silly.

Is a short rest probably what the spell was designed for (plus other creative uses)? It seems to make the most sense. But to try and defend it as some kind of paragon of clear writing - I don't think so.

because they didn't want to make a spell duration 1hr and 12 seconds, just so extremely pedantic GMs couldn't try and GOTCHA players over 12 seconds difference and "spell ambiguity"

Mort

Legend
Supporter
because they didn't want to make a spell duration 1hr and 12 seconds, just so extremely pedantic GMs couldn't try and GOTCHA players over 12 seconds difference and "spell ambiguity"

If a DM wants to play GOTCHA then he is being a jerk and there is little the rules can do about it.

mortwatcher

Explorer
If a DM wants to play GOTCHA then he is being a jerk and there is little the rules can do about it.

that is what the interpretation I quoted looks like to me though
all the spells in the book have nice and simple durations - either specific number of rounds or number of minutes/hours, there is no seconds hair-splitting on longer duration spells, and it wouldn't make much sense to break the mold for 2 very specific spells that on paper look like resting tools (rope trick and tiny hut), just so DMs can't rules lawyer their players into not giving them the intended benefits of those spells

Mort

Legend
Supporter
that is what the interpretation I quoted looks like to me though
all the spells in the book nice and simple durations - either specific number of rounds or number of minutes/hours, there is no seconds hair-splitting on longer duration spells, and it wouldn't make much sense to break the mold for 2 very specific spells that on paper look like resting tools (rope trick and tiny hut), just so DMs can't rules lawyer their players into not giving them the intended benefits of those spells

Your kind of making my case for me with that argument.

This spell is extremely easy to gotcha with!

much easier that Tiny Hut btw (Tiny hut doesn't require exertion to get into and doesn't expressly dump you out when it ends).

Remove ads