Is it just me or is the spell Rope Trick kind of absurd?

The Athletics entry (p. 175 PHB) makes it quite clear what climbs call for an ability check. It does not include a free-standing rope.
The entry gives examples, which the DM can use as basis for their adjudication. I would definitely say that a free-standing rope with zero support is the equivalent of a steep cliff, since it is purely vertical and there is no wall to lean against, and there are no easy hand-holds.

The basic rule of the game is that the DM calls for a check whenever the outcome is uncertain, and failure would matter. Since I can't state with 100% certainty that absolutely anyone would be able to climb a free-standing rope with 100% success rate, and since failure would cost time in a situation where individual rounds would matter, I am confident in adjudicating that a check is appropriate in this circumstance. And to be perfectly honest, I don't see how you could seriously propose otherwise.

I question the "it's a safe space to have a Short Rest for another reason: it's not actually a safe space. There's nothing saying enemy creatures cannot enter the space, only that it's invisible. That might work on less intelligent enemies, but you don't think a Lich or a Dragon isn't going to fly up the possible 60' and pop their head in to do some AOE or Breath Weapon attacks? Come on! If your intelligent enemies are more than willing to sit around and allow the party to get a Short Rest when they saw the party crawl up a rope into nothing, then I think we all need to think outside the box more. It's not a safe space, it's a kill box!

It doesn't offer a safe space for a short rest any more than a broom closet does, except that it's better at it. If you aren't seen entering then it's less likely to be noticed (I don't know how NPC's with True Sight or Detect Magic would change that, I suppose that's another discussion), but still not technically impossible depending on abilities.

Also potentially the infinity-thin blade thing as mentioned above.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
It does not. It says you CAN climb the rope to reach it, but not that you MUST climb the rope to reach it. It's just telling you where the entrance is - at the top of that rope, a 3-foot-by-5- foot invisible window centered on the rope. If you can reach it without climbing, then it's still there for you to enter. So if the entrance is at waist height and you can enter it just by standing up, you can do that and nothing in the text says or implies you cannot.

Yes, if you take the rope out of the equation, the spell becomes noticeably less absurd.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The obvious use of rope trick is as an invisible, impossibly sharp blade trap.

Because nothing does damage like suddenly having a massive gap between things that are supposed to be connected.

You know, you got me thinking. Since stuff is ejected and falls when the spell ends, I see this scenario: Sneak into a throne room 45 minutes prior to the King holding court when it's empty. Cast rope trick above the throne, sticking a big anvil up there centered above the throne (and the rope, of course). Jump down and leave. When the spell ends in an hour, smack, anvil on head of king.

rsz_116872_4523.jpg

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Yes, if you take the rope out of the equation, the spell becomes noticeably less absurd.

For those who think you must climb the rope, are you guys arguing the spell is intelligent and knows if you accessed the portal by climbing the rope as opposed to simply putting your hand on the rope before you enter? What's the mechanics here that people are imagining is happening with the "you must climb the rope to enter the invisible portal centered on the rope?"

Satyrn

First Post
You know, you got me thinking. Since stuff is ejected and falls when the spell ends, I see this scenario: Sneak into a throne room 45 minutes prior to the King holding court when it's empty. Cast rope trick above the throne, sticking a big anvil up there centered above the throne (and the rope, of course). Jump down and leave. When the spell ends in an hour, smack, anvil on head of king.

rsz_116872_4523.jpg
Hello Nurse! Hello? Nurse? Where's the nurse? The king needs a nurse!

Mort

Legend
Supporter
For those who think you must climb the rope, are you guys arguing the spell is intelligent and knows if you accessed the portal by climbing the rope as opposed to simply putting your hand on the rope before you enter? What's the mechanics here that people are imagining is happening with the "you must climb the rope to enter the invisible portal centered on the rope?"

Well, if you're talking to me - I don't actually think climbing the rope is an absolute must (I suppose a prior comment might imply that, but there have been a lot of comments and I'll admit my attention to detail on this thread is quite likely lacking).

That said,assuming the space is not reachable easily (waist or head high or whatever), it would seem that expending additional resources (other than the rope) to get into the space is just more trouble than it's worth - and would just add to the absurdity for me.

Last edited:

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak

rsz_116872_4523.jpg

Oh Lolth, I've found my next Wizard character.

The entry gives examples, which the DM can use as basis for their adjudication. I would definitely say that a free-standing rope with zero support is the equivalent of a steep cliff, since it is purely vertical and there is no wall to lean against, and there are no easy hand-holds.
The only reason the rope is free standing in the first place is because of the magic spell. Ropes don't free-stand in real life. So yes, there is support, it's the very spell in question and the extradimensional pocket it creates.

And it's absolutely absurd to compare ANY climbing of a rope to a cliff, regardless of how hard you think it should be to climb a rope.

No, you want to nerf the spell for no reason, eliminate the obvious purpose of the spell and add rules that aren't there.

Remove ads