• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is it just me or is the spell Rope Trick kind of absurd?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
They're the same thing.

I don't even know how to respond to that.

No point in a "yes it is," "no it isn't" back and forth.

Is this a subtle (maybe not so subtle) attempt at humor by saying a rope is a rope ladder just like a rope trick is a healing spell?

Yunru

Banned
Banned

Is this a subtle (maybe not so subtle) attempt at humor by saying a rope is a rope ladder just like a rope trick is a healing spell?

Not at all. If you make the rope ladder out of a single rope, it is still a valid component for Rope Trick.
Thus any argument about needing a check needs to assume the easiest possible situation that the players can use, because that's what they'll use.

So yes, it's the same. Because it's a rope, of at most 60'.

Last edited:

I believe it is, RAI, designed to facilitate short rests yet the ambiguous writing doesn't mention short rests once..
One hour is the default length of a short rest, but the rest of the book goes out of its way to avoid making that assumption. I don't think that the intent of the spell is for its duration to scale with the length of your short rests.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Not at all. If you make the rope ladder out of a single rope, it is still a valid component for Rope Trick.
Thus any argument about needing a check needs to assume the easiest possible situation that the players can use, because that's what they'll use.

So yes, it's the same. Because it's a rope, of at most 60'.

Is making a rope ladder from one continuous piece of rope even a thing? I've never seen a rope ladder made from one continuous piece of rope.

Do you get to cut the rope? Otherwise, you're losing A LOT of length.

You could knot the rope, that would make climbing quite a bit easier, but that's not a ladder.

If it is a single piece of rope, turning into a rope ladder (assuming you even can) does what? cut the size by at least half? So if we're going by semantics - I don't think you could use a rope ladder to get to 60' - you'd violate the length requirement.

The fact that this is even a discussion points to the absurdity, no?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Is making a rope ladder from one continuous piece of rope even a thing? I've never seen a rope ladder made from one continuous piece of rope.
You form a loop, tie a knot. Repeat with excess.

Do you get to cut the rope? Otherwise, you're losing A LOT of length.
[...]
If it is a single piece of rope, turning into a rope ladder (assuming you even can) does what? cut the size by at least half?
Why would you want a lot of length?

The fact that this is even a discussion points to the absurdity, no?
Not at all.

But seriously, what if you cast Rope Trick underwater (with the opening to the extra-dimensional space being underwater as well)? Save air pocket or space full of water? What happens when the water is expelled if it fills the space at the end of the hour? Can it be used to cut off people's legs if they walk in to the event horizon at knee level?? These are the important questions. Your fascination with the rope aspect is very limiting.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

I cast Rope Trick on this. Are we done now?

sl12-stirrup-rope-ladder-1.jpg

Mort

Legend
Supporter
You form a loop, tie a knot. Repeat with excess.

As I said, you're losing a lot of length.

Also as per the spell "..Holding one end of a 60-foot or shorter rope causes the other end to rise up until the rope is fully perpendicular to the ground."

Kinda sounds like all your work looping the rope gets undone as the rope uncurls and rises to its fully perpendicular length! Darn tricky magic spells! Do I really believe this? Who knows, it's magic - and a bit absurd.

Why would you want a lot of length?

Because the gnolls are chasing you, and if you don't get up high enough they're going to catch you?

Because the princess is 60' up and instead of levitate you decided on rope trick?

Remove ads