D&D General Is it legal to scan books I own in hardcover to use on my iPad?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
This issue has been tried in many forms, from making cassette recordings to rip-mix-burn and the upshot has always been: if the user owns the source material then making a copy for personal use is fine. Perhaps there is some obscure locale that doesn’t allow that, but I’d be very surprised.

And make sure you don’t share your digital copies. Just because it takes a click, doesn’t make it right.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
And thinking of rip-mix-burn, the people that sold their CDs after ripping them really didn’t get the point...

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
IANAL, the value of this is what you paid for it and I'm not charging.

When I've looked into this before for the US, it was legal to make an archival backup of media you owned. However, "archival" was a key word - it can't be to transfer it to a more useful medium, just for backup in case your primary copy was damaged or destroyed. Also it was you archiving it - a copy of someone else's version of the same media did not fit the restrictions. So basically, you were allowed to make a copy of a copyrighted work, but not, for instance, to have a handy PDF of it to bring with you.

Oh, in the US if it was published before 1923 or you have permission from the author, go ahead. The first isn't protected, the second you are allowed.

There's also a question of Fair Use to make a copy, but that has a notoriously fuzzy boundary so I'm not going to attempt to talk about something I have limited and possibly misleading information about.

the Jester

Legend
As far as I'm aware of, as long as you OWN the physical copy, you can download digital content, despite the source, as long as you own the physical.

That is the view point on game ROMs. I would surmise it's the same for books.

I believe that this is wrong. You can't (legally) download someone else's copy, you can only make a digital version of your own copy.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
DM’s guild also has the watermarked pdfs for about $9 US each.

I should say that was for AD&D stuff. Which is the best stuff IMO.

Remove ads