D&D General Is it legal to scan books I own in hardcover to use on my iPad?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
If its just for your use then yes however if you share the digital copies with your friends/group then No.

Up to 1/3 can be copied for use by others (which covers things like spell cards, this may vary by jurisdiction)

aco175

Legend
Is there any relation to books where they give you a free copy of the PDF for that book as part of the purchase? I have been seeing a lot of this, especially with 3pp.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Is there any relation to books where they give you a free copy of the PDF for that book as part of the purchase? I have been seeing a lot of this, especially with 3pp.

You can certainly use those as much as you want since you bought it along with the physical book (even if for free $0.00). But you would still make yourself vulnerable to a copyright infringement case if you distributed it, even among friends.

Most game companies aren't going to care too much if you're photocopying pages from books, printing pages off from PDFs, or passing the books around a personal gaming group as part of your use of their game. But when someone in the group breaches your trust and puts your copy of a watermarked PDF out on a torrent stream, you'll be the one holding the bag.

Remove ads