Is it nostalgia?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I have the same thing, but luckily for my wallet there isn't a FLGS nearby otherwise,i'd pick up copies of 5th PHB,GURPS IW,and a few other books that I'd like to just read because i like the sound of the setting looks at Shadowrun

Don't let your wallet learn about Amazon or (shiver) Kickstarter!

Mercador

Adventurer
I have the same thing, but luckily for my wallet there isn't a FLGS nearby
The sad part on my side is the biggest one of the province is at a 5 minutes drive from home.. Now, I'm trying to wait a week to know if I really want it or it's just a fad.

even though the rest of my life is quite austere possession-wise.
Same, I'm someone that don't buy a lot of stuff but for some reason, RPG books are an emotional impulse buy somehow. I think that's why I'm trying to understand my "habit".

Henry

Autoexreginated
I see it as just one more creative outlet, nothing wrong with it in the slightest (unless someone were neglecting upkeep or family in pursuit of their game purchases, of course). Just from your description, it sounds like you use it as creative fuel just for envisioning the world described in the lore.

It’s a different experience from reading novels, because novels usually describe actions, scenes and places, but they don’t describe ALL of the world at hand the same way a sourcebook does. A novel tells you that a Fighter, a Cleric and a Thief went to Mount Despair and robbed it of the Foozle; a sourcebook tells you that a Barbarian, or Wizard, or Arcane Trickster COULD have done the job instead, and could have instead took a secret entrance that led to the target quicker, and had alternate class abilities while they were doing it.

Some people read an encyclopedia for fun (or in these days, Wikipedia). No different from any other harmless entertainment.

Mercador

Adventurer
It's just reading, most RPG's have some story in them.
Yeah but I don't read them, that an issue from my point of view because I purchased others.
Some people read an encyclopedia for fun (or in these days, Wikipedia). No different from any other harmless entertainment.
Ah, I think you pinpoint it. I can loose (lost?) hours on Wikipedia sometimes, metalinks are killing my freetime. At least, I don't forgot the rest but sometimes I feel bad that "lost" hours getting more information about meaningless things. It seems to "feed" me? And more it's complicated, more I like it. That's really, really weird. I guess my brain is starving somehow.

Mercador

Adventurer
Question is: how do you feel when you buy a new thing? (right at the moment you buy it)
It depends. If it's for my daughter, I'm happy. For me, it's more like buyer remorse. At the exact moment I buy it? It needs to be done, so I can pass to something else, like I have to pay faster than I can. It tells you something?

It depends. If it's for my daughter, I'm happy. For me, it's more like buyer remorse. At the exact moment I buy it? It needs to be done, so I can pass to something else, like I have to pay faster than I can. It tells you something?

I suspected that you may draw satisfaction from the act of buying because of the way RPG products spur your imagination and let you mentally explore a new game already at that point (which IMO fuels most current crowdfunding campaigns). But from what you said it does not sound like this is the case for you.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases