Pathfinder 2E Is It Time for PF2 "Essentials"?

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Let's assume Paizo decided to do a PF 2.5 - what changes would you make?
I avoided going there because any substantive change is going to make the system a PF3. I’d put almost everything you listed as too big of a change to call it a revision. Even though PF1 was quite different from 3e, it was still more or less built on the same chassis.

If I were going to do a revision, and assuming I was just iterating PF2 into PF3, I’d make the following changes:
  • Get rid of skill actions. If you look at the ones included in the CRB, they follow a couple of similar patterns (succeed → get a result, critically succeed → get a better version of success; set a benchmark for opponents; etc). Paizo recognized this during the playtest for spells, creating the idea of a basic saving throw. There be a couple of standard types of skill checks that the GM can use to adjudicate most situations.
  • Make the VP subsystem core. It’s not well-written, but the VP subsystem is powerful. Look at how Blades in the Dark uses clocks. Most of the skill actions that don’t fit in the standard types of skill checks could be handled via the VP subsystem. In particular, this would let them drop the awful Make an Impression and Request actions. Those are holdovers of 3e’s disposition subsystem, which I’ve never seen used in play as written. It just doesn’t align with how people want to use skills in social situations.
  • Rename Diplomacy to Persuasion. Intimidate and Deception describe approaches. Diplomacy is another holdover from 3e that could be given a better name.
  • Give all martial classes a free martial archetype at 1st level. Casters differentiate themselves by tradition. Martials would differentiate themselves by their archetype. This would also address the complaint that all the martials get variants on the same feats or don’t get access to ones they want for certain concepts. You could then build class-specific feats to further differentiate the archetypes between classes.
  • Let the fighter change archetypes. Right now, the fighter’s primary differentiation is being better at hitting things than everyone else. I like to think of fighters as someone who can make anything a weapon in their hands, like the fantasy equivalent of John Wick with a pencil. Find a cool axe? Fighter is axe guy. Find a cool polearm? Fighter is polearm guy. People complain about having golf bags full of weapons, but that to me is what a fighter is. They bring their tools to battle and use the right one for the job.
  • Simplify monster creation. Do we really need the ranges of values for every degree of every level of a monster? Make it so GMs can quickly improvise a monster just using the tables. I used the class breakdown by level in the DMG all the time while DMing 3e. It’s way more handy than the useless NPC roster in the PF2 GMG.
  • Be more prescriptive about exploration mode. You have a good foundation, so build it up into a full-fledged subsystem. People who don’t care about that stuff are ignoring it already anyway, so give those who want to use it a cool mode to play with. Include things like wandering monster and reaction. That is where your disposition stuff should come into play. This would also help walk back the idea that “encounter” is synonymous with fight. Use the VP subsystem here where appropriate.
  • Enumerate expectations when discussing encounter-building and provide knobs for groups that fail to meet them or exceed them. If the game assumes a decent level of tactical play, then groups that don’t will have a miserable time. The same goes for groups that are really good at synergyzing. That helps keep the encounter-building guidelines as a useful tool for assessing difficulty.
  • Allow the game to be played without balanced encounters. Rather, make it clear that this is a valid approach. You can do that today. If you’re doing an old-school style dungeon crawl, you can use a suitable exploration procedure that lets PCs control engagement. That doesn’t mean they will win every fight, but the expectation in this style of play is that fair fights is a failure state. This would be a supplement to the expanded exploration mode.
  • Pay Justin Alexander to write your adventure-building chapter in the GMG. Paizo has pulled fairly liberally from various sources for its other advice, but I think they’re too steeped in their own adventure-writing culture to see other approaches. Justin’s advice on the Alexandrian is really good for running dynamic, exploration-based games. This would be good for the expanded exploration mode, but it would also give tools to GMs who wanted to run mysteries and other styles of games that weren’t just fighting through encounters to tell a story.
  • Get rid of the Incapacitate trait. I’m with CapnZapp. This is the kind of thing that players will remember when it screws them out of stopping a Big Bad. It feels too much like a gacha. I get that Paizo doesn’t want people trivializing encounters, but I think we need to get back to that’s being okay. Let the PCs be clever and win, and include that as part of the expanded exploration mode.
  • Look at spell balance. People are unhappy with how casters feel. Mathematical balance with martial characters feels crappy. Figure out a way to let non-casters get cool stuff as they progress that isn’t just hitting things harder, so casters don’t “have” to be balanced against it. You don’t need to resort to stronghold-building or getting an army, but let higher-level play be more than just lower-level play with bigger numbers.
  • Make the arcanist core. It’s baffling that they created this class in PF1 then went back to traditional, Vancian-style casting in PF2. If you were going to do full Vancian (meaning you could reprepare empty slots), that would be one thing, but forcing players to choose how many of each spell isn’t very fun or exciting. I know OSE does it the old-school way, and I’m fine with it there because your relationship with casting is different, but PF2 wants you to be using magic regularly. It’s not really a strategic resource, so don’t make players choose.
  • Rethink higher-level play. I’m going off my experience with PF1 and how CapnZapp has described higher-level AP play. In a sense, you’re just doing the same thing that you did at lower levels, but the stakes are higher, and you do bigger numbers. If higher-level play is about saving the realm, then it should involve mustering realm-level resources (and not just because you went into the Dungeon of Really Dangerous Stuff to get the magical super-doodad).
  • Devise a proper hero point economy. I don’t like how you just earn them whenever the GM remembers to give them out (once per hour). Tie them into certain activities or for introducing certain difficulties into the game (e.g., like compels in Fate, intrusions in Numenera, or invoking a flaw in Open Legend).
  • Add more uses for hero points. In particular, make my house rule core because it adds an element of off-turn engagement: you can spend a hero point to increase the degree of success of another player’s result.
  • Rethink magic items. I agree with CapnZapp here too. After getting into OSE, the magic items in that game are just fun. If we really need to have boost items, then tie them into the encounter-building guidelines as knobs you can turn. If you want to give everyone +3 items, then this is how it affects the game. If you never give them any, then that is how it affects the game. Get rid of all the little boost items and replace them with fun stuff. Do more things like the bag of weasels (except not cursed).
  • Make shields passive. I don’t like the “shields shall be splintered” variant for OSE. I don’t like Raise a Shield and Shield Block in PF2. It encourages PCs to bring along carts full of shields to use as ablative armor, or you never use it because you don’t want your precious magic shield to be destroyed. It also encourages people to be less mobile than you really ought to be in combat.
That’s about all that comes to mind right now.

Honestly, if you want to try and do something with incapacitation, make up "Villain points" so that any spell that has the "incapacitation" tag allows a big bad to use a villain point to upgrade their save once. Also it's cool to give villains a spendable currency to do narrative naughty word and not just GM fiat. It's why I like FFG Star Wars for their "advantage/disadvantage" system.

willrali

Explorer
Again, "PF2 isn't going well" is kind of the premise of the thread.

Maybe a better way to phrase the OPs question would be:

Let's assume Paizo decided to do a PF 2.5 - what changes would you make?
(completely sidestepping the "but is it doing poorly?" question)

Myself, I would:
  • lighten the restrictions on the core structure of a character. I want a way to increase my character's Fortitude save at the expense of her Will save. Or maybe AC. Or Perception. Instead of just saying "no, you can't do it" make it happen even if you balance it conservatively.
  • scrap the current thinking "let's reserve every last little bit of design space for the feats we sell". Having a high level character that still can't crawl reasonably fast, or can't climb and fight at the same time, or can't make decent jumps even though you're Legendary in Athletics... (because you didn't take the feats Quick Crawler, Combat Climber, or Cloud Jumper) It's just so much more natural (intuitive and fun) if these basic improvements come with higher proficiency levels for free. Every hero that's legendary in Acrobatics should be able to pull off cool stunts without having to remember to take a whole slew of obscure low-level feats!
  • In fact, the entire "let's turn on the firehose spewing feats faster than anyone can play them" idea is deeply unsatisfactory, so each and every feat should be scrutinized: if there are three or five feats doing nearly exactly the same thing, just with minute variations, then combine them into one single feat (so you don't need to remember slightly different rules just because you're playing this class instead of that class). Paizo likes to brag about how they have cleaned up the rules mess that was PF1, but nobody seems to realize PF2 is nearly as bad, with load and LOADS of little niggly rules differences between feats and abilities that should have worked identically because they should all have referenced one and the same thing! First assignment: scrap HALF of the over 2,000 feats that currently exist. (I am absolutely certain the game would be better off if there were just 500 feats - as if that's a low number - but that selection might be actually hard so let's start with something simple like just erasing every other feat...)
  • Next item on the agenda: little niggly conditionals. Getting a +1 is too mathy for 5th Edition, but that in itself is okay for Pathfinder 2. But the problem is, there are loads and loads of items and abilities that only give you that +1 on a Saturday, or when you dess in yellow but not in green. Get rid of all the conditionals no sane player will ever bother with. Don't assume the game is played by veritable living computers! Magic items are especially egregious culprits here.
  • So let's discuss PF2 magic items. Simply but, they're boring as hell. In fact, they remind me of 4E magic items, and boy, is that not a flattering comparison. I remember when DMing 4E I tried combining two supposedly-awesome items into one, and they were still forgotten by the players. Getting a +1 is noice if you can record it on your character sheet and forget about it. Getting a +1 that only works if you're Expert in this skill, and have taken this specific action just prior, and you can only use it once a day, and then only with this or that restriction...? Hell no, just drop that like a hot turd. Remembering the specific conditions for half a dozen items because they only give their bonus at exactly the right time? Yeah, if that bonus is awesome! For a +1 that likely won't matter in the slightest? No. Just no.
  • So the entire roster of magic items in PF2 needs to be deleted, and Paizo needs to bring in a designer of 3E or 5E items where getting the item actually matters. Where players actually care to remember to use them (often because there's nothing to remember, you just get an awesome power or bonus!)
  • While you're at it, the idea to keep fundamental runes as items needs to die. It feels wonky as hell. Magic items works best when players are happily surprised when they get 'em. Not when they feel not having them is a curse and getting them is an obligation.
  • And while you're at this, the idea to have every desirable item as a trivially transferred rune needs to be restricted to a variant. It's no fun when you continuously see your players strip every cool item you give them for their runes, which they immediately transfer to their existing weapons. I understand that for PFS (tournament play) purposes, this is almost a necessity, but for home campaigns, "free runes" should never have been the default rule. Instead, the wisdom is: don't make abilities that are specific to individual weapons. The 5E devs learned this early in that game's lifespan when they made an UA with feats like "+1 to Hammers" and the response was overwhelmingly negative. Don't force the Fighter to specialize in, "swords" or "polearms"! This only makes it impossible to hand out a magic axe, since the Fighter will not want to use it! If there ever was a character class whose feature should be "can use ALL weapons" it should be the Fighter. And Paizo even markets the class as such, but then immediately shot themselves in the foot by not giving the class "can switch specialization overnight" (until very high level I believe).
  • Shields suffer another baffling implementation. It's far from immediately clear, but careful scrutiny reveals you have to choose: either pick a magic shield too frail to actually use (as a shield) or choose a shield sturdy enough to function as a shield (but then this sturdiness will be the shield's only "magical power")...
  • There are several rules subsystems that just are incredibly subpar. Medicine and Earn Income is each super complicated for no reason. (Or rather, they were written by a designer who mistake clutter for quality). Crafting and Recall Knowledge are two subsystems that are just broken-as-frak. (I've written entire threads about these and won't repeat that here) We've already mentioned how restrictive the three-action system is in practical play when you can't just wing it, and everything is locked down by a feat.
  • Talismans deserves a special shoutout for being a rules system that actively fill me with rage. Yes, it's uniquely infuriating. It combines the worst tendencies of PF2 rules design in a single package. (No, nobody will ever bother spending that much time and attention on getting a minuscule bonus on a very specific action only once, and that often only to the character in the party that needs the bonus the least...)
  • Consumables are horribly overpriced. The intent seems to be "giving one-time bonuses is unbalancing so players should only be given the consumables we place as loot"... and that's exactly the result when playing. You basically never purchase a one-time bonus when you can purchase a permanent upgrade for just four times the price. Healing potions are a joke. Spend two actions and a lot of gold on getting an entirely inadequate amount of healing? Yeah, no. In combat, use a Cleric. Out of combat, use Medicine.
  • Slotted spells are just too weak at low level. (Playing a Wizard becomes truly fun at around level 11...)
  • The Focus point system appears to be written for an entirely different game than the Medicine subsystem. (If you routinely need to rest for 30-60 minutes between encounters, the supposedly fun minigame of choosing your ten-minute activities ("should I repair my shield or regain a Focus point") just never becomes relevant since you always go "I'll do all of 'em").
  • Cantrips are bewilderingly badly balanced. On one hand you have Electric Arc which deals half damage on a miss and can very often target two people. On the other hand you have a slew of attack spells where you often miss (low level casters are shite at hitting things. And since their cantrips are ranged attacks they can't benefit from extremely vital low-level bonuses like flanking) and do nothing. What were they thinking...?
  • That individual classes and abilities can be bad is not something I'll dock the game points for. Every game has that. Still, attack spells and Alchemists deserve a do-over in a Pathfinder 2.5
  • In fact, in order to polish the spell list here's what I'd do. I'd read the internet guides on spells (Wizard Guide, Cleric Guide and so on) that fans have created for the game. Then I'd list every spell that three guides list as red (the color used for spells everybody agree are useless traps), and upgrade that spell. Instantly you'd easily have 20% more spells to choose from! (I'd do that with orange or purple spells too, the colors commonly used for subpar or special-use spells, but with a little more care obvs)
  • I really recommend Paizo to find a replacement for Incapacitation. There are sooo many spells that are just rendered useless for player characters by having Incapacitation. (They're still great for BBEGs!) The tendency to "fix" it by adding spells that have useful outcomes even on a failure is a nuisance, since they make it impossible to just remove Incapacitation. But since this is a new revision of the game, Paizo can pay a designer to come up with a fix that doesn't come across as so incredibly heavy-handed. Basically the game needs to offer - at least as a variant - a way to select "protected" NPCs by narrative needs and not strictly by level or other game stats. (Akin to how in 5E you can elect to make any monster "Legendary" if you wish)
  • Paizo really needs to offer official support for people wishing to use the game for traditional games where resource attrition is a thing. That is there should be a variant detailing all the changes you need to make (beginning with nerfing free healing aka Medicine), and maybe doubling everybody's health by calling Hit Points Wounds and adding an equal amount of easily-regained Vitality. (Btw, the current Wounds and Vitality variant in the GMG? Yep, over-engineered and cluttery just as usual...)
  • Paizo really needs to recognize the unique difficulties presented to new GMs when it comes to encounter balancing, and specifically rebalancing on the spot. Very much unlike 5th Edition, you simply can't have two groups of monsters unite for safety from the pesky heroes - that's a given TPK in the making. But Paizo so far pretends encounter-building works much like in PF1, which simply is untrue. I find the selection of variant rules deeply unsatisfactory since they don't really allow for playing the game in new (or old) modes. It's all too focused on PFS and AP play.

So there you have it. A long list I know. It should not obscure the truly great things about the game: the three action combat system actually works (as long as you focus on combat and not things like opening doors or fighting on cliff sides...), the quality of monsters and their abilities is far superior to 5E, and... well, that's it, but since combat against monsters is the bread and butter for games in the Gygax family, that's alright.

Zapp

Some of these are pretty great ideas. I'm especially considering how to make wizards more fun. Maybe re-cast spells from their staves scalable by Intelligence or something.

Retreater

Legend
Isn't the existence of "Pathfinder: Now With Savage World Rules" a little bit of a PF2E Essentials, or testing the waters for the desire for such a thing?
I guess I haven't thought of it that way since Paizo isn't really involved. It's not like Paizo is writing original content or designing its own AP for Savage. In fact, last time I checked, they weren't even promoting the Kickstarter on their website. SW is so different from d20 that it's like comparing Fantasy Flight Star Wars to West End Games' d6 system.

Remove ads