Pathfinder 2E Is It Time for PF2 "Essentials"?

Retreater

Legend
When D&D 4e was released and didn't go over well, WotC brought out the Essentials line about two years later to revise the monster math, provide some streamlined character options, changing skill challenges, and to try to revitalize the brand with better adventures.
Are we at that point with Pathfinder 2E? Like a soft reboot - a PF 2.5?
The APs are considered not up to the previous standards. It's largely failed to catch on, with dwindling physical book sales, falling market share on VTTs, and little 3PP support. Two years of flailing around was enough for WotC to do a soft reboot - is it soon enough for Paizo to do the same?
Do you think a revised, streamlined PF2 would help? What would you like in it?

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Is PF2 really doing that badly? It’s not setting the world on fire, but it was my understanding that it is growing slowly on roll20. I think expecting it to be huge like PF1 is not a very fair expectation. It’s unlikely anything is going to supplant D&D again unless WotC stops putting out material for a while (like they did with 4e).

The Beginner Box is largely this. It is more succinct and better organized than the CRB. I really should have been the first product released for PF2. If it had ben, it would have been the benchmark instead of the CRB.

Retreater

Legend
Is PF2 really doing that badly? It’s not setting the world on fire, but it was my understanding that it is growing slowly on roll20.
What I just read on the Paizo boards is that Roll20 has no plans to offer their newest AP (the Abomination Vaults) on the service. That doesn't bode well. I was actually excited to see that one - oh well.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
What I just read on the Paizo boards is that Roll20 has no plans to offer their newest AP (the Abomination Vaults) on the service. That doesn't bode well. I was actually excited to see that one - oh well.
roll20’s PF2 support has always been uneven. I find it difficult to take “it’s still half-assed” as an ill omen. All I could find on this is roll20 apparently worked on Trouble in Otari first, and their not doing Abomination Vault was news to Aaron Shanks, Paizo’s marketing and media manager.

CapnZapp

Legend
Let me first note nobody has cared to answer the actual question.

When D&D 4e was released and didn't go over well, WotC brought out the Essentials line about two years later to revise the monster math, provide some streamlined character options, changing skill challenges, and to try to revitalize the brand with better adventures.
Are we at that point with Pathfinder 2E? Like a soft reboot - a PF 2.5?
The APs are considered not up to the previous standards. It's largely failed to catch on, with dwindling physical book sales, falling market share on VTTs, and little 3PP support. Two years of flailing around was enough for WotC to do a soft reboot - is it soon enough for Paizo to do the same?
My answer is: learn from 4E. That is, don't try to salvage a sinking ship - abandon it and build a new one. Look at how much better D&D is off!

In my opinion, a PF 2.5 would be the worst option. Either stick to your guns (keep supporting 2.0 accepting the game will never be nearly as huge as PF 1)) or don't (and hope you can muster a PF 3 before running out of cash).

(This comment accepts the premise at face value in order to attempt an answer to the actual question)

kayman

Explorer
Pathfinder 2e is doing well , there is no need to change imho ... I am running Abomitation Vaults and having a blast ... Thank paizo for the best version ever made of the d20 system. and when Secrets of magic reveals the new non-vancian-magic system i hope i would be able to say the game is perfect.

kayman

Explorer
i want to ad two more things ... the three action economy alone make PF2 better than every version of the d20 system and The support for lost Omens line is amazing with no parallel on the market.... For those who are having problems with finding a game ... search for PFS on discord ,,, you will have a lot of fun ...

Remove ads