D&D 5E Is It Time To Not Assign Spellcasting Classes ANY Casting Mechanics?

Sadras

Legend
I didn't say Vancian could only be understood by expert players.
I said that Vancian magic tends to be overwhelming for new players and that it would be better to give them something simple to begin with (if they want to play a spellcaster).

I disagree. When a new player joins the group and the experienced players gently nudge him to play a melee character, its not the Vancian system that is overwhelming - it is rather the multitude of spells and how to use them effectively.
Whether you use a Spell Point system, Vancian or Spontaneous Casting it is still overwhelming for a new player to play a caster. That changed with 4E, however 5E does not appear to be using the same model.
So for me to blame Vancian as the complex mechanic seems like a poor argument to make, it would be best to say that casters are complex characters due to their options available through spells rather than a particular way one accumulates/stores spells (and they are squishy).

Last edited:

Steely_Dan

First Post
I would prefer magic classes (artificer, binder, incarnate, psion, sorcerer, truenamer, warlock, etc) to have their own, distinctive styles, not several generic casting/magic methods that can be slapped on whatever magic class you're playing, waters it down, takes away class identity.

Kavon

Explorer
I disagree. When a new player joins the group and the experienced players gently nudge him to play a melee character, its not the Vancian system that is overwhelming - it is rather the multitude of spells and how to use them effectively.
Whether you use a Spell Point system, Vancian or Spontaneous Casting it is still overwhelming for a new player to play a caster. That changed with 4E, however 5E does not appear to be using the same model.
So for me to blame Vancian as the complex mechanic seems like a poor argument to make, it would be best to say that casters are complex characters due to their options available through spells rather than a particular way one accumulates/stores spells (and they are squishy).
And hence why the simple default I was refering to isn't Spell Point, Vancian, or Spontaneous, but more like At-Will (and Encounter?) based - no more worrying about when you use which spell, just use what you have (like a melee character does).

Or are you denying that that would be simpler for new players?

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
And hence why the simple default I was refering to isn't Spell Point, Vancian, or Spontaneous, but more like At-Will (and Encounter?) based - no more worrying about when you use which spell, just use what you have (like a melee character does).

Or are you denying that that would be simpler for new players?

I think spell point is easier. It has the benefit of working a lot like the hp system they already have to learn for D&D and also like tons of video games. Encounter powers are a bit tougher to keep track of.

Kavon

Explorer
I think spell point is easier. It has the benefit of working a lot like the hp system they already have to learn for D&D and also like tons of video games. Encounter powers are a bit tougher to keep track of.
Hm, yeah, you do have a good point there. It's definately familiar to those that play computer RPGs, while Encounter stuff is not. It still gives the added complexity of resource management over a longer period of time, though (compared to the simpler melee characters).

I think it would be nice to offer new players a range of options that all have a similar difficulty level, so that they can actually play what they want, not what the system offers them for their level of experience with the game.

Remathilis

Legend
I would prefer magic classes (artificer, binder, incarnate, psion, sorcerer, truenamer, warlock, etc) to have their own, distinctive styles, not several generic casting/magic methods that can be slapped on whatever magic class you're playing, waters it down, takes away class identity.

Let the record reflect I'm in agreement with SD here, though I had no problem if a few classes shared systems (such as psion and sorcerer using some form of spell points, while wizard and clerics were Vancian. You don't need to reinvent the wheel dozens of times.

Sadras

Legend
Hm, yeah, you do have a good point there. It's definately familiar to those that play computer RPGs, while Encounter stuff is not. It still gives the added complexity of resource management over a longer period of time, though (compared to the simpler melee characters).

I think it would be nice to offer new players a range of options that all have a similar difficulty level, so that they can actually play what they want, not what the system offers them for their level of experience with the game.

Although I agree at-will/encounter is easier than Vancian it is certainly not the only deciding factor when it comes to newbies not playing Wizards. There is the Hit Point factor - they are squishy and since 5E is assuredly not 4E and appears to be following older schools of thought when generating hit points I still see us nudging newbies back towards melee classes.
Now as for newbies, they will not make up the majority of the market share so why all this pandering and catering to newbie players is beyond me. Their primarily goal is to unite the player base - a united player base yields an increase in newbies. Appealing to newbies but leaving the player base divided yields far poorer results.
I say go Vancian, as Remathillis said no reason to reinvent the wheel. And in the DMG or later in the PHB allow for those additional options as modules as per the OP.

Kavon

Explorer
Although I agree at-will/encounter is easier than Vancian it is certainly not the only deciding factor when it comes to newbies not playing Wizards. There is the Hit Point factor - they are squishy and since 5E is assuredly not 4E and appears to be following older schools of thought when generating hit points I still see us nudging newbies back towards melee classes.
But then there is no difference in difficulty in understanding the game whether you have more or less hit points and/or armor.

Now as for newbies, they will not make up the majority of the market share so why all this pandering and catering to newbie players is beyond me. Their primarily goal is to unite the player base - a united player base yields an increase in newbies. Appealing to newbies but leaving the player base divided yields far poorer results.
I say go Vancian, as Remathillis said no reason to reinvent the wheel. And in the DMG or later in the PHB allow for those additional options as modules as per the OP.
Yet again, you and I and everyone here will be able to take the options we prefer without too much of a hurdle, but a new player will likely be tripping over things when they read through the spellcaster class description if it's too complex.

There is no dividing the player base when all the options that they want are given (unless they demand that their prefered way is *the* way and the *only* way - note that this simple casting is not what I would play).

It's not about reinventing the wheel. There are multiple wheels by now, and the DM can choose to pick the old stone ones, or the wooden ones, or the fancy metal ones with the rubber, if he so pleases.

If the other options are given elsewhere, who better to use them than experienced players? Let's not burden the new players with all this, so that they may actually come back a second time instead of going back to their computer games.

At the end of the day, if you're going to make it easy for someone, make it easy for the ones that actually may need it. It might be catering to new players, but you have to remember that these players are also the future of this game.

Sadras

Legend
What you really asking for here is a 'basic edition' or DnD Light, make every class easier to use, why not? Lets strip the classes bare.
Offer that online for free in pdf for the 1-5 levels with these at-wills/encounter options you speak of and let the PHB appeal to the players it is meant to unite.

Last edited:

Kavon

Explorer
What you really want is a 'basic edition' - which I would prefer not to have in the players handbook.
Eh, not quite. What I would want from the game is not what I'm talking about.
I'm saying that if there is a default, readily apparent, way of giving the classes to the players, make it simple so new players can get on board without making it harder for them.
After that (and I mean, in the same book), you can supply the more experienced players with all the options they want.
I personally would like to have loads of options for my character, to customize it to what I want it to be, but I also realize that this is not a smart thing to make the default, because it has a good chance of scaring off the fresh meat (as I've seen happen in earlier editions).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases