Media Is Kickstarter ruining podcasts?

Crothian

First Post
Recently Kickstarter was discussed in the Boardgame Geek website. As most BGG discussion, it was heated and it was intense. This time some people were claiming that Kickstarter is ruining podcasts because we only talk Kickstarter things these days.

Kickstarters are not ruining podcasts; the podcasters are. It's up to them to decide what to talk about. If they choose to talk about kickstarters all the time and that ruins the podcast then there is no one to blame except the people doing the podcast.

Leviatham

Explorer
Kickstarters are not ruining podcasts; the podcasters are. It's up to them to decide what to talk about. If they choose to talk about kickstarters all the time and that ruins the podcast then there is no one to blame except the people doing the podcast.

I guess the question is if actually covering Kickstarter constantly ruins podcasts.

Crothian

First Post
I guess the question is if actually covering Kickstarter constantly ruins podcasts.

Then it depends on how they cover them. If they are just reading the Kickstarter off of the website word for word (and I've listened to some podcasts that do that) then those people are making bad choices on how to do a podcast and I delete the podcast and never listen to them again. But if the podcasters take some time and talk intelligently about the project and give the listener more information then I could get from just reading the Kickstarter then they are doing a good job and I'd listen to their podcasts more. I haven't heard any podcasters that do that though.

ProtoClone

First Post
OK, I don't watch any podcasts so I don't have much to say on what is ruining them or not.

But, do the guys launching the Kickstarters get interviewed or is it just their potential products that get reviewed?

P

PaulofCthulhu

But if the podcasters take some time and talk intelligently about the project and give the listener more information then I could get from just reading the Kickstarter then they are doing a good job and I'd listen to their podcasts more. I haven't heard any podcasters that do that though.

We talked to Sandy Petersen recently (since he has a Kickstarter going at the moment).

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/content/1127-Sandy-Petersen-2012-Interview

and then we also talk about it in one of our shows:

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/content/1128-News-from-Pnakotus-035-Lo-Pan-Style

Essentially if you want to know more about a Kickstarter than what anyone can simply infer from reading the page, well, you'd just have to talk to the folks involved. This requires a lot more effort than just giving opinions and it's easy to understand why podcasters would just want to read & give their view in most circumstances.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Kickstarter is a problem because of all the spam in generates. Once someone signs up, there is a perverse incentive to generate spam at other centers of online communication in hopes of personal gain through increased pledge goals.

What ticks me off is when a kickstarter actively encourages it's backers to spam boards they are part of.

I don't promote any of my non-KS stuff any less than the KS ones - I've got as many posts on these and other forums, no matter what method of funding was used for my given Kaidan setting and supplements. Really I've only got one product that used KS anyway, everything else was produced out of pocket.

Most of the KS threads I see on various forums aren't started by the project developers, rather fans and supporters listing what KS projects they find interesting or pertains to RPGs in general.

I don't see the difference between a Kickstarter funded project and a non-Kickstarter funded project?!

Kickstarter isn't a fad - it's a money source only. Kickstarter isn't a marketing program unless you're a regular KS visitor.

Last edited:

Leviatham

Explorer
But if the podcasters take some time and talk intelligently about the project and give the listener more information then I could get from just reading the Kickstarter then they are doing a good job and I'd listen to their podcasts more. I haven't heard any podcasters that do that though.

Allow me to give you a couple of links then! :)

http://www.gmsmagazine.com/podcasts/the-gms-magazine-podcast-episode-67magicians-with-kyle-simmons

http://www.gmsmagazine.com/podcasts...e-66horror-games-and-zombies-with-wj-mcguffin

Janx

Hero
Kickstarter is a problem because of all the spam in generates. Once someone signs up, there is a perverse incentive to generate spam at other centers of online communication in hopes of personal gain through increased pledge goals.

What ticks me off is when a kickstarter actively encourages it's backers to spam boards they are part of.

I think the Spam aspect is part of the turn-off.

In the old bank loan model, hearing about a product did not mean "help us by giving us money"

In the KS model, everytime somebody uses the word KickStarter when talking about their product, its a request to give them money.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher

In the old bank loan model, hearing about a product did not mean "help us by giving us money"

In the KS model, everytime somebody uses the word KickStarter when talking about their product, its a request to give them money.

True, but for KS RPG products (at least the one I was involved with) was more a pre-order of products, than "give me money". Some KS, especially non-RPG projects are more "give me money" than anything else.

But when I post an announcement of a product, even if funded out of pocket - the goal is that you'll be interested and pay money for it. Isn't that the same thing?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

That's a excellent point. I can't disagree with that.

But when I post an announcement of a product, even if funded out of pocket - the goal is that you'll be interested and pay money for it. Isn't that the same thing?

Well, hopefully you wouldn't be spamming about it, though.

Remove ads