Media Is Kickstarter ruining podcasts?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Personally some of the things that worked wonders for me were banners. Kicktraq, and their staff, were amazing to work with. Made a banner for me, as I don't have that skill, and took care of it. Banners, ads seem less intrusive than a ton of forum posts. Even ones I myself have done.

We did a banner campaign through Gamerati, I created the banners myself.

NPC-Aaron

First Post
I think a lot of the KS hate is prominent now because we are sort of on the bubble. Right now Kickstarter is getting very saturated with RPG and Table Top products, many of dubious or even poor quality, because this new source of funding allows everyone with an idea and a little time on their hands to apply for some funding.

This isn't a bad thing though. Eventually the bubble will burst and the good designers will rise to the top, while those without the vision or work ethic to put out a great product will fall by the wayside. Eventually Kickstarter will largely be good products and its existence means we get to see a lot of projects that we might not see otherwise (James Wallis' Alas Vegas for instance).

On my podcast I often talk about kickstarter games, but I didn't stop talking about games released other ways either, so I'm not sure if any listeners have been upset by it. If they have, I haven't heard the complaints yet.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I think many of the new games and possible new games of the future could not exist without something like Kickstarter to fund it. I don't see Kickstarter as a negative in any way - it's only a form of funding. Most RPG publications in the past decades were created with requirements of sums of money provided by the publishers through bank loans, savings, tax returns - money that could have been useful elsewhere. With the existence of Kickstarter many, many products will have a chance to exist and be purchased that had no chance before Kickstarter. As a means of increasing the amount of available RPG material for your entertainment - this is the real benefit of Kickstarter.

Don't think of it as a Kickstarter project, just consider it a game product that is funded by something like Kickstarter or otherwise. There is no need to assign Kickstarter as some other thing getting involved with our games. It's only a funding source and nothing else.

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
I don't know about podcasts specifically but there has been a lot of chatter online about kickstarter because a) the popularity has exploded in the past year for gaming products and b) some of them have failed to deliver as promised. I suspect those who have been burned have become much more vocal about the potential downside.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases