• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Larry Elmore still popular?

bloodydrake

First Post
Classic Elmore is well Classic great stuff.
I'm not sure why people don't like the newer styles tho,DungeonPunk or what ever its called. I think the quality of a piece will always stand on its own.
For instance I've never noticed James Rymans work before but his cover for dungeon 127 is one of the best game art pieces I've seen in a very long time.
I'm definately looking forward to more
TSR82127_500.jpeg

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Not saying anyone else needs to try and copy his style but any artist would do well to achieve Elmore's level of excellence by emulating his work ethic. Plus, I do love his dragons... :)

tetsujin28

First Post
Aaron L said:
The creepiness of Erol Otus is what I like about his art the best! It really drove home the "medieval but not quite Earth" feel of 1E Greyhawk for me, and the illustration of the Son of Yog-Sothoth carrying off a fairytale princess in Deities & Demigods is one of my all time favotites.
Otus is an original. I love how squicky and just plain weird his style is. That and his obsession with funny hats and armpits. His drawings of the Cthulhu mythos are still the best, ever.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
While there are probably more half-dressed heroines in fantasy art than is probably necessary, I've always liked Elmore's, which always had more to them than how well they filled out their chainmail bikini. And, oh yes, it always looked like they ate.

MaxKaladin

First Post
I am certainly an Elmore fan. His art is what I imagine fantasy to look like and has always inspired my imagination. In particular, I've always liked that his people look a lot more like what I think someone would actually dress like instead of being bristling with spikes and buckles and so forth like in so many more current pieces.

Elmore rocks. I absolutely love his work. I hope I can one day have a fraction of the skill/talent that he does.

Of course, liking Elmore(and most of the 'classic' D&D artists, for that matter) doesn't mean I don't like the modern stuff. Love that, too. Never seen the whole 'dungeonpunk' that is apparently everywhere. Maybe I'm just blind, though. ;)

Grimstaff

Explorer
jcfiala said:
I'm a fan of Elmore - I like his work. I was looking through the 'Women of Fantasy' book that he published back in the early d20 days, and looking through the book I was surprised at how the six women he illustrates aren't like each other. I will admit I was somewhat expecting and looking forward to a series of rather lush figures. :)

And I'll throw a positive vote in Erol Otus' art - looking through the gallery that the previous poster linked to, I was impressed again at how good a job he does. The 'Giant Flying Beasts' on that page are really nightmarish, and the 'Gibbering Mouther' beneath is just trippy. No one does a Gibbering Mouther like good old EO.
Keep in mind, that stuff is 20-25 years old for the most part. Check out some great new Otus stuff on Dungeon Crawl Classics like "the Sunless Garden" and "Bloody Jack's Gold" and others. You can see how he has advanced his technical skill, but not lost his unique perspective.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
I was never a big fan of Elmore. Like an earlier poster noted, many of pictures seem 'static'. I always preferred the Otus covers for Basic & Expert D&D over the Elmore ones.

tetsujin28 said:
Otus is an original. I love how squicky and just plain weird his style is. That and his obsession with funny hats and armpits. His drawings of the Cthulhu mythos are still the best, ever.

Yeah, I agree 100 percent. Otus is probably the most original artist to ever produce D&D stuff (Trampier is another real original).

Grimstaff said:
.... Check out some great new Otus stuff on Dungeon Crawl Classics like "the Sunless Garden" and "Bloody Jack's Gold" and others. You can see how he has advanced his technical skill, but not lost his unique perspective.

I love Goodman Games for getting Otus to do some of their covers!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads