• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is Larry Elmore still popular?

MadMaxim

First Post
Sundragon2012 said:
Elmore's art isn't just game art, unlike a lot of the stuff decorating the inside pages of WoTC books and Dungeon and Dragon magazines. A good example of game art is Wayne Reynolds who though talented is not in the same artistic league as Elmore, Calwell, Parkinson, Lockwood, and others of their ilk. Even Brom, whose style is completely unique, is a stand out talent. Not saying that these folks all produce masterpieces all the time, but their stuff stands up within fantasy art circles even when their style isn't the "in" thing.

Folks like Baxa, Reynolds, and dare I say Terlizzi have styles that will never be classic and in fact are rather forgettable outside of those gamers who loved the settings they illustrated/painted for. I refer to the art of these folks as fad or trend art which has a shelf life of so many years before it goes bad.

Larry Elmore is unraivalled in regards to his skies, his landscapes and his atmosphere. His women are often stunningly beautiful. His limitations are in the areas of physiology in regards to musculature, his dragons are kind of stringy looking, and compared to a fellow like Lockwood, his technique is kind of cartoony at times.

However, despite his shortcomings, such as they are, the work of Elmore and others like him I believe are simply of a higher caliber than a large amount of what graces books on the market these days.
Well, different people prefer different styles, but I wouldn't call Reynolds' works forgettable. Unlike Elmore, Reynolds is capable of making the action happening in his paintings almost leap out of the frame. To me, Elmore's paintings seem a whole lot more static and non-interactive. His paintings look great, but there just doesn't seem to be a whole lot happening unlike in Reynolds' works.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I really like Elmore's style and his work. When I think of D&D art I think of five names. Elmore, Otis, Parkinson, Easley, & Caldwell. Otis is #1 and the rest tie for #2.
The newer guys don't do it as much for me, but a lot of the stylistic choices, ie the dungeonpunk look, really turn me off. Good artists technically though.

P.S. I love that people can see the strange otherworldly wierdness of Erol Otis' wonderful art. He's an original for sure, very destinctive and with a great style.

I'd consider myself a fan of Elmore's art. I love the Snarfquest compilation and like many, his Classic D&D boxed set covers. The illustrations by Elmore and Easley within really shaped my imagination as a kid.

When I think of past editions of the game, I think of Elmore, along with Otus, Sutherland, Easley, and DAT.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
diTerlizzi is HUGE outside gaming. The Spiderwick Chronicles are giant hit in children's literature. They're not quite A Series of Unfortunate Events, but it's in the general ballpark.

Pants

First Post
tetsujin28 said:
DiTerlizzi's art is in the great tradition of fantasy illustrators like Arthur Rackham. It's fairy-tale art. Far more evocative than the imitation Hildebrandt plasticy awfulness of Elmore and Caldwell.
Word.

DiTerlizzi may not be my favorite artist, but he has a certain style and he certainly has a large enough following outside of D&D that he's transcended 'game art.' His style also has a certain resemblance to Alan Lee's style that, at times, I totally dig.

As for Elmore, I've never really liked his art, though he's done some good pictures. I've never really hated his art either, just cold indifference.

I know I wouldn't put Elmore into the category of 'awfulness' that is Trampier, Caldwell, and DAS.

Joshua Dyal said:
Then again, I don't mind the "dungeonpunk" aesthetic. In fact, I quite like it. I really love the artwork for Privateer Press, for example, and I think Matt Wilson's work for them is among the best rpg art around.
I agree. :)
While the whole 'dungeonpunk' look may in fact be a fad, it is no more a fad than the line drawings, woodcut illustrations, and 80's hair-styled adventurers of the 70's and the 80's (a fact that I normally rip on Elmore for). In a couple of years, the art of 3e may look as dated and out of place as the pictures from 2e and 1e. By then, I'll be complaining about the new look and hearkening back to when 'spikes and buckles were the norm.'

Art evolves. :)

Last edited:

madelf

First Post
compared to a fellow like Lockwood, his technique is kind of cartoony at times.

All consideration of the individual artists' specific strengths or weaknesses aside (since I personally like just about all the guys mentioned on this thread, short of Otis)... I do have to ask...

How is this...
http://www.larryelmore.com/images/art/bandw/lg_bw_034.jpg

more cartoony than this...
http://www.wizards.com/leaving.asp?...allery/MM35_PG131.jpg&origin=dnd_ag_20030712a

? :p

With both these guys (like most artists), it's all in what they're doing. Elmore obviously likes his chainmail bikini babes with feathers in their hair, and Lockwood seems to have a thing for weird-ass mutant/manga-fied elves. Neither one can claim that they haven't drawn some silly s**t. But in much the same way, when either one of them pulls out all the stops... then they can really create some amazing art.

I'm an Elmore fan from way back. I grew up on his work. I love it. And I think he's still a heck of an artist. Of course that doesn't take away a thing from the other guys - I'm a Lockwood fan too. Not that I'd hang every single thing either of them have done on my wall, but they both have done plenty of stuff I'd happily put up there.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Elmore paints the best goddamn skies I've ever seen!

That's funny, I always said the same thing about his snow.

I'm a big Elmore fan. I also like Parkinson's work. I will agree that Elmore doesn't convey motion as well as some other artists like Wayne Reynolds, but on the other hand, something really bugs me about Wayne Reynolds's faces. (The ones he draws, not the one on his head :p) Other than that I like most of the new art too, but I will always judge them by Elmore & Parkinson.

JediSoth

Henry

Autoexreginated
bloodydrake said:
...For instance I've never noticed James Rymans work before but his cover for dungeon 127 is one of the best game art pieces I've seen in a very long time.
I'm definately looking forward to more.

That IS some good work! Reminds me of some of those old Savage Sword of Conan Magazine Covers.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
coverofdrag55.jpg

I really like this Otis Dragon cover.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads