Level Up (A5E) Is Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition compatible with D&D 5E?

Larnievc

Hero
They are different rule sets, and yes, Level Up can be used for D&D adventures, but it cannot be used alongside "D&D characters," since D&D characters rely on "D&D rules" and "D&D feats" and "D&D spells."
I dunno man, at my table one player has an PHB Champion and rocks PHB feats and another has a retooled their Clockwork Soul to have the LU sorcerer base class with the Clockwork soul sub class. This is at level ten and we haven’t had any problems yet.

Waller

Legend
I dunno man, at my table one player has an PHB Champion and rocks PHB feats and another has a retooled their Clockwork Soul to have the LU sorcerer base class with the Clockwork soul sub class. This is at level ten and we haven’t had any problems yet.
I’d give up. He hasn’t played it, but he insists it can’t be done despite the fact that people are actually doing it. Don’t tempt another essay!

Rant

Explorer
I don't really want to get into this discussion, but I've noticed that you could play O5E and A5E at the same time (say, with an O5E character using exclusively O5E rules and an A5E character using all the A5E rules) with the DM/Narrator having to do no extra work whatsoever. (Beyond knowing both sets of rules). I don't even think it would be at all confusing.

I might do this with any player who is resistant to learning new rules. "Fine, don't bother then, you'll keep playing O5E".

That alone makes it pretty compatible.

Yeah, that is the one way I could see it working. Players can make D&D characters or Level Up characters, the D&D players function off of D&D rules, spells, feats, magic items, and so on, and the Level Up characters use the Level Up versions. Monsters work mostly the same way, but if a D&D character is hit with a critical only the monster damage dice are multiplied where if a Level Up character is hit by a critical the static modifiers also multiply, and so so.

Right, D&D characters having D&D feats and other rules still seems to work. That might be the best way to add Level Up to a D&D game, using the two rule sets side by side essentially.

I’d give up. He hasn’t played it, but he insists it can’t be done despite the fact that people are actually doing it. Don’t tempt another essay!
There's a perfectly workable way it could be done, just have two different rule sets for two different character types. That way the D&D characters don't lose out on the D&D versions of things like Fireball, Counterspell, Bag of Holding, Polearm Master, Great Weapon Master, Sharpshooter, Expertise as double proficiency, and so on, and the Level Up characters use the Level Up versions and the Level Up class content, ie, Expertise Dice, replacement feats and different core rules, crits double static modifiers, etc. That addresses most of the incompatibility issues by side-stepping them. Whether it's smooth and balanced requires testing.

That was what my earlier line of questioning was about, in fact, trying to get more specifics on the "play testing" that went on before Level Up's launch. I didn't get any specifics. "We play tested it" didn't tell me how it was play tested. With D&D rules, or Level Up rules, or a mixture as some have proposed above? With basic unoptimized feat-free, multiclass free simplistic builds, or optimized builds with feats and MC? I still don't have an answer to any of those questions, so to the best of my knowledge those playtests are happening right now, and haven't in the past. "We play tested it" tells me nothing about how it was play tested.

Last edited:

Faolyn

(she/her)
"The Gish gallop is a rhetorical technique in which a debater attempts to overwhelm an opponent by excessive number of arguments, without regard for the accuracy or strength of those arguments. ... It is similar to a method used in formal debate called spreading."

For instance:

That was what my earlier line of questioning was about, in fact, trying to get more specifics on the "play testing" that went on before Level Up's launch. I didn't get any specifics. "We play tested it" didn't tell me how it was play tested. With D&D rules, or Level Up rules, or a mixture as some have proposed above? With basic unoptimized feat-free, multiclass free simplistic builds, or optimized builds with feats and MC? I still don't have an answer to any of those questions, so to the best of my knowledge those playtests are happening right now, and haven't in the past. "We play tested it" tells me nothing about how it was play tested.
None of this how actually matters. Because let's say they played using LU combat rules but characters built using D&D rules. You'd then say "but they didn't mix the rulesets" or "they didn't say if it was feat-free" so it doesn't count. Or you'd question the exact mixture of rules, or just how unoptimized something is.

So the correct answer here is: you try it out, then report back. Have your PCs play in a sample adventure with LU rules like PtA/FB. If you the reason you haven't made a LU character is because don't want to give up certain builds, then try recreating them via maneuvers. Or try making brand new characters.

Rant

Explorer
"The Gish gallop is a rhetorical technique in which a debater attempts to overwhelm an opponent by excessive number of arguments, without regard for the accuracy or strength of those arguments. ... It is similar to a method used in formal debate called spreading."

For instance:

None of this how actually matters. Because let's say they played using LU combat rules but characters built using D&D rules. You'd then say "but they didn't mix the rulesets" or "they didn't say if it was feat-free" so it doesn't count. Or you'd question the exact mixture of rules, or just how unoptimized something is.

So the correct answer here is: you try it out, then report back. Have your PCs play in a sample adventure with LU rules like PtA/FB. If you the reason you haven't made a LU character is because don't want to give up certain builds, then try recreating them via maneuvers. Or try making brand new characters.

Playtesting is supposed be performed before a product is released, not after by the player base. It’s a perfectly reasonable line of inquiry I think.

Remove ads