• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is memorization totally gone? Can't remember and can't find the reference

StarFyre

Explorer
Hello,

I was wondering if, in addition to:

* at will
* per encounter
* per day
* rituals (which may fit under per day OR under per time of ritual)

will there still be spells that will be using a spell point or memorization system for players to choose if they want to use them maybe 3 in one encounter and then 2 in the next and have none left after that, OR will memorization be totally gone?

Sanjay

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
The per day abilities do exactly what you are talking about.

The thing I don't know is whether the available powers are chosen from a bigger pool or you just pick less of them as you raise in levels and they are always available.

StarFyre

Explorer
well no

per day does not do what I am asking, because that implies, let's say Bigby's crushing fists, bad example i know, was per day...then i can only use it once that day.

I want to know, if there are ways to use certain stuff that isn't on the per encounter list, more often in a day...so maybe some other spell pool that is still gained through memorization.

Sanjay

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Well, actually we don't yet know if you can prepare a specific per day ability more than once, so as to be able to use it multiple times.

Rechan

Adventurer
I don't know if it counts as 'memorization', but you get some Rituals.

Rituals are basically spells you cast out of combat - take time, the effect happens. Long distance teleport, raising the dead, restoration, divination, probably heavy duty summoning.

And from one of the playtests, it looks like you have to go hunt down rituals.

FadedC

First Post
The most concrete information we have right now is an example of a (presumably low level) wizard picking his spells. He chooses magic missile and fireblast as her at will spells, burning hands as his per encounter spell, and sleep as his per day spell.

What we don't know is when he makes this choice. Is it a permanent choice that only changes when you level up, or can you change it every day? Or is it permanent for some spells (ie at will and per encounter) and changable for others (per day).

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
FadedC said:
The most concrete information we have right now is an example of a (presumably low level) wizard picking his spells. He chooses magic missile and fireblast as her at will spells, burning hands as his per encounter spell, and sleep as his per day spell.

What we don't know is when he makes this choice. Is it a permanent choice that only changes when you level up, or can you change it every day? Or is it permanent for some spells (ie at will and per encounter) and changeable for others (per day).
Yes, the article was unclear about that. Personally, I hope that the specific powers can be changed... that would be some king of memorization.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
StarFyre said:
will there still be spells that will be using a ... memorization system for players

Technically there hasn't been a memorisation system since the launch of 3e, which replaced the 'fire and forget' memorisation of earlier editions with the idea of spell preparation, where all was prepared except for the final trigger words/guestures which launched the spell.

/pickypicky

But to come back to your main point:

a) we don't know yet

but
b) Star Wars SE has 'per encounter' use of force abilities, but you can choose a particular force power more than once, so you have it available twice in the encounter (for instance). Thus it seems likely to me that if a wizard has three 'per day' abilities, he might well be able to choose one of them (prepare one of them?) twice, allowing him to use Sleep twice that day and Spell X once per day.

That's a guess based upon what we do know, it will be interesting to see what else pans out.

Cheers

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The Wizard description in R&C notes that they need rest, and touches on preperation...but as noted above, we don't really know the details.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads