WotC Is Mike Mearls Happy Hour still a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aldarc

Legend
Please keep the tirade of insults to a dull roar.
He's not been pushed out, he was promoted and got off of social media.

He's done quite a few interviews about BG3, and is involved in more behind the scenes high-level franchise development now.
See kids? You too can receive a promotion if it tuns out you are a transphobic doxxer who aids and abets serial abusers in their harassment campaigns.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:
Folks,

Some people don't like things that people involved in the business have done over the years. Note, though, that just splatting out a line of insults about it here doesn't really achieve anything useful. If you have a problem with someone in the industry, please take it up with their employers.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
My two cents; I feel like the start of Mearls going low began with him being busy, then the Zak S. thing happened. And I don't think Wizard's pressured him to be silent, as that almost never works for outspoken people.

More likely, Mearls is ashamed of his role in the Zak thing. There have been many times of done something, realized later that I did wrong, and am embarrassed to show my face. It's very possible this contributed to his absence.

Plus I think he had a baby, that also makes this harder.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
My two cents; I feel like the start of Mearls going low began with him being busy, then the Zak S. thing happened. And I don't think Wizard's pressured him to be silent, as that almost never works for outspoken people.

More likely, Mearls is ashamed of his role in the Zak thing. There have been many times of done something, realized later that I did wrong, and am embarrassed to show my face. It's very possible this contributed to his absence.

Plus I think he had a baby, that also makes this harder.

He also took an extended stay in Belgium to work on BG3, which was secret for half this year. He literally couldn't talk about where he was or what he was working on, which is a problem since he is terrible with secrets.

I think he took the opportunity of being off the grid for a while to just stay off, since he didn't need to engage social media in his new job.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Social media/Twitter is cancer. Avoid.
Only if you don’t know how to curate your online environment at all. Which, tbf, most social media services build themselves to make it harder to do well.
He also took an extended stay in Belgium to work on BG3, which was secret for half this year. He literally couldn't talk about where he was or what he was working on, which is a problem since he is terrible with secrets.

I think he took the opportunity of being off the grid for a while to just stay off, since he didn't need to engage social media in his new job.

It’s really nice, I imagine, to take a vacation from being the famous person in a parasocial “social media” paradigm. Even if you aren’t being shamed every time you sign on by people with a legitimate grievance.
I think it's time to move on and leave Mike alone, leave him in peace.

Has a person who hasn’t apologized earned being left in peace, or do you believe that isn’t something one has to earn?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Only if you don’t know how to curate your online environment at all. Which, tbf, most social media services build themselves to make it harder to do well.

It’s really nice, I imagine, to take a vacation from being the famous person in a parasocial “social media” paradigm. Even if you aren’t being shamed every time you sign on by people with a legitimate grievance.

Has a person who hasn’t apologized earned being left in peace, or do you believe that isn’t something one has to earn?

I don't think being left in peace needs to be earned, for anyone. Leave the public square and haven't committed any crimes, then nothing more to it.

In this case, he did wrong, and offered the legally vetted apology, and probably can't say any more. Seems he has bowed out of being a public figure, more or less, so not much to be said fruitfully anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases