• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is "Mystic" a bad class name?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I prefer it to the sciencey Psion myself. But really, it ends up not really mattering as you get used to any name after a while. I wasn't a fan of the name Warlord when I first heard about the class, but it became less and less important to me over time.

Personally I don't care about the class name--to me, the real name of a given psionicist will be related to his specialty. "Telepath", "Psychometabolist," "Psychokineticist," "Psychoporter," or "Clairvoyant" are the primary divisions in my mind. In 5E-style psionics I suppose that would be Immortal Adept vs. Awakened Adept.

painted_klown

First Post
Put me in the camp that isn't too hot on the class name being mystic. IMO, mystic says something entirely different than "pseudo-science themed class".

I don't mind the move away from the other names (ability names and such) associated with the class, to help it blend more naturally into the world of D&D, but I do like the class name as Psionic, as it helps to set it apart (not just mechanically) from spell casters.

To me, mystic sounds like your describing an old native American shaman, or medicine man type of person, and not really one who uses their mind for their power/strength.

Jessica

First Post
I dislike Mystic. It feels plain and doesn't really tell you much about the class. Psion is upfront, direct, and has a certain power to it.

pemerton

Legend
There have been a number of different incarnations of the Mystic in D&D, none of which has had anything to do with Psionics.
why use a name that was used before in a completely different context?
In Rules Compendium D&D, "mystic" was the name given to the monk class. This is a class which has been associated with psionics in various ways over the years: the popular monk variant in Dragon 53 stated that "The new special abilities and powers presume that the inner strength of monks flows from the mind - that it is a sort of psionic power." And in 4e monks drew on psionic power.

Also, githzerai have long been described as cenobites, and 4e PHB3 also used that word in relation to psions (p 80) - and "cenobite" is a synonym for "monk".

So I don't think it's that big a stretch to associate mystic with psionics.

Sage Genesis

First Post
Mystic could describe anything. It could be a Cleric or a Wizard. Or a Paladin, a Sorcerer, even a Barbarian if you go with the animal totem thing. I could understand the desire to get rid of Psion and Psionicist (although personally I think they're fine) but Mystic isn't a good substitute. Might as well call a class "Adventurer".

pemerton

Legend
Mystic could describe anything. It could be a Cleric or a Wizard. Or a Paladin, a Sorcerer, even a Barbarian if you go with the animal totem thing. I could understand the desire to get rid of Psion and Psionicist (although personally I think they're fine) but Mystic isn't a good substitute. Might as well call a class "Adventurer".
Wizard, sorcerer and warlock are all synonyms - and could encompass a D&D bard, druid or even ranger - but the game gives them a precise meaning. I don't see Mystic being any different.

Sage Genesis

First Post
Wizard, sorcerer and warlock are all synonyms - and could encompass a D&D bard, druid or even ranger - but the game gives them a precise meaning. I don't see Mystic being any different.

But when the Sorcerer and Warlock were introduced they were blank slates because those classes didn't previously exist. Psions do. So they apply a highly generic, non-descriptive name to a very specific and already well-defined concept. It doesn't work for me. It's a step back in terms of recognizability.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads