Level Up (A5E) Is passive expertise intended to be locked at +3?

Vexxmyst

Villager
Looking at the rules on Passive Skills, it says only that expertise grants a +3 bonus, which I assume is taking into account the average roll of a d4, rounded up in the same way as average health is.
However, expertise isn't limited to a d4, so were you to increase expertise in Insight from a d4 to d6, would the passive bonus increase from a 3 to a 4; or is the intent to keep it at a +3 regardless of die size?

Looking at the rules on Passive Skills, it says only that expertise grants a +3 bonus, which I assume is taking into account the average roll of a d4, rounded up in the same way as average health is.
However, expertise isn't limited to a d4, so were you to increase expertise in Insight from a d4 to d6, would the passive bonus increase from a 3 to a 4; or is the intent to keep it at a +3 regardless of die size?
Why would you assume it doesn’t do exactly what it says, grant a +3 bonus?

Please note that I have not read this part of the book yet

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
As written it stays at 3. I haven’t tried it the other way, and don’t think it would be a problem if you chose to do that.

Vexxmyst

Villager
Why would you assume it doesn’t do exactly what it says, grant a +3 bonus?
Because it's granting a static application from a variable. You can have a d4, d6, or d8 (and d10/d12 if you work for it) as your expertise die that increases odds, but regardless of this it grants a binary +3 to passives? I'm naturally going to question if that was intended.

As written it stays at 3. I haven’t tried it the other way, and don’t think it would be a problem if you chose to do that.
Fair enough!
Doing the math, a level 20 Investigator with Spot Tell and Nobody's Fool would have a passive Insight of 27 (10 + 6 + 5 + 3 + 3) before ability modifiers. Scaling passive expertise would increase that by 3 to 30, for an 11% increase. With that in mind, I suppose there isn't much of a point in having scaling passive expertise as there are already enough avenues to increase passives.

An Advertisement

Advertisement4