Is Pathfinder 2 Paizo's 4E?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Oh, man, that's easily one of my favorite parts of the game. I had a player turn the rolled-for Trait "There's nothing I like more than a good mystery" into her PC's spoken-out loud catchphrase. Good times.
I'm just not gonna either (a) remember 6 of these descriptors /per PC/, and give out attaboys everytime someone fluffs one of 'em, or (b) put up with players constantly pointing out, "hey, I just did something dumb, because it matches this sentence on my character sheet, can I have another free re-roll, pls?"

More generally, I find carrot/stick RP incentives, where the DM must judge RP like a theatre critic - (let me just put on my Hat of Understatement, no attunement required, for a sec) less than satisfactory, from either side of the screen.

But, hey, that's just me.
They exist, go ahead and count 'em as choices.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm just not gonna either (a) remember 6 of these descriptors /per PC/, and give out attaboys everytime someone fluffs one of 'em, or (b) put up with players constantly pointing out, "hey, I just did something dumb, because it matches this sentence on my character sheet, can I have another free re-roll, pls?"

More generally, I find carrot/stick RP incentives, where the DM must judge RP like a theatre critic - (let me just put on my Hat of Understatement, no attunement required, for a sec) less than satisfactory, from either side of the screen.

But, hey, that's just me.
They exist, go ahead and count 'em as choices.

They are important enough to my experience of D&D that it was disappointing when PF2's implementation was just a Feat choice with none of that sort of flavor...

Tony Vargas

Legend
Beauty of a modular system.
Yes, being able to snap out modules that don't do what you're after is an advantage of modular systems.
5e being such a system is, at best, a polite exaggeration. 5e has some official variants and some explicitly optional rules. But you can't decide "hey, I don't like traints/bonds/flaws/wwhatevertheotherthreeare," and replace that module with an equally functional alternative, for instance. Rather, you can just go 'meh' and not opt into them. Which is slightly more convenient than having to go 'ick' and banhammer them. So there's that.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes, being able to snap out modules that don't do what you're after is an advantage of modular systems.
5e being such a system is, at best, a polite exaggeration. 5e has some official variants and some explicitly optional rules. But you can't decide "hey, I don't like traints/bonds/flaws/wwhatevertheotherthreeare," and replace that module with an equally functional alternative, for instance. Rather, you can just go 'meh' and not opt into them. Which is slightly more convenient than having to go 'ick' and banhammer them. So there's that.

Sure, you can replace it easily enough: Xanathar's Guide goes so far as to offer a whole lifepath system.

Remove ads