Is Science Fantasy the Next Big Thing™?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Is Science Fantasy the Next Big Thing™?

When Numenera came out, I thought it was an outlier. But is it a harbinger instead? The Strange came next, and although it is directly related to Numenera, it is also a new game.

Now Wil Wheaton's Titansgrave is coming, and it is a self-proclaimed "science fantasy" game.

Are there more games in this genre out there right now? Are there more coming soon?

And, are you personally interested and/or excited to play in a science fantasy game?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Been a fan of science fantasy- and the RPGs derived from them- since forever.
So... that's a "yes"? You've probably already gamed in this genre in something like GURPS or the Hero Game System, right?

Do you intend to play Titansgrave? Have you played Numenera or The Strange?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Think of it more of a universal system, systems to cover a wide range of types of games. Just think gamers have been looking for it for a while.

Are there more games in this genre out there right now? Are there more coming soon?

And, are you personally interested and/or excited to play in a science fantasy game?
Shadowrun has been around since the eighties, and I'm still excited about that. Rifts was big in the nineties.

I think it's less that the genre is becoming more popular, and more that there just a lot more games being created these days. The barrier to entry is lower than it's ever been, and a lot of people are looking to branch out from traditional fantasy (which has always been the largest part of the market). Science fantasy is a good middle ground between traditional fantasy and sci-fi, where sci-fi is still seen as somewhat inaccessible to the masses.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
So... that's a "yes"? You've probably already gamed in this genre in something like GURPS or the Hero Game System, right?

Do you intend to play Titansgrave? Have you played Numenera or The Strange?

I have played Sci-fant games in HERO, GURPS, RIFTS, Shadowrun, Space:1889 and others I have forgotten. I have even used HERO to run campaigns using the settings and tropes of other RPGs, like D&D and- appropos of this discussion- Space:1889

I own- but have not played- Numenera and The Strange, which I bought in part because of my love for this niche.

I'm currently playing in a Monster of the Week game, which is a rules light horror/action RPG, but would lend itself nicely to the genre.

No opinion on Titsnsgrave, though. I know nothing about it.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Well, there's nothing *new* about science fantasy. I think such games go back to Metamorphosis Alpha and Gamma World, in 1976/78.

Just turning my head to the right, I see books for Star Wars, Shadowrun, Deadlands and Atomic Robo, all of which are science fantasy, or have science fantasy elements. There has been a fairly constant stream, perhaps waxing and waning over time. But it is not a new Big Thing, in my opinion.

Whether I am excited to play a game is much more about the people playing and running the game than it does the game's genre. I can find my fin in nearly any genre, with other decent players at the table.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
It will be interesting to see if the new Star Wars movie boosts interests in SW RPGs and, from there, it's just a hop, skip, and a jump to other forms of science fantasy.

Personally, I've been wanting to run something like Dragonstar since FFG first published it but was not prepared to put in the work required under 3.xE. Now that I have Numenera, I might take a fresh look at Dragonstar as well, especially once the Cypher System comes out.

Is it the Next Big Thing? I'm not sure if it is, but Star Wars may - or may not - have an impact.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases