• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Is Sorcerer the weakest 3.5 base class now?

Tzarevitch

First Post
Thanee said:
I would rate blocking teleport at a pretty high magnitude, not really something every baddie has available.

Bye
Thanee

Not really. It just had a favorable location. This was a Birthright campaign. The PHB mentions that areas of strong energy can block teleportation and this facility was sitting right on top of a magical Ley Line (sort of a magical river). Also, technically nothing stops you from generating "strong magical energy" just to scramble teleportation. Detect Magic gives an idea of what "strong magical energy" rates as. Also you can build teleport blockers as Wondrous Architecture and make it cheaper so you can do it on a larger scale.

Tzarevitch

SimonMoon5

First Post
Tzarevitch said:
After it reflected the first one <Disintegrate> back at the caster no one really wanted to try it again. We suspected that it was Wondrous Architecture that had a recycling spell-turning effect on it. It could reflect targeted spells but not touch spells.

Of course, Disintegrate is not targeted. It is a ranged touch (ie, ray) attack. But then, my DM allowed spell reflection to reflect Disintegrate too (mainly because (a) I had disintegrate while all my opponents had spell turning and (b) he wasn't really that fluent with the 3.0 version of spells).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
SimonMoon5 said:
Of course, Disintegrate is not targeted. It is a ranged touch (ie, ray) attack. But then, my DM allowed spell reflection to reflect Disintegrate too (mainly because (a) I had disintegrate while all my opponents had spell turning and (b) he wasn't really that fluent with the 3.0 version of spells).

Are you saying Disintegrate shouldn't be subject to spell turning? I'm looking at Spell Turning in the 3.5 SRD and everything in it suggests Disintegrate is turnable. It's targeted directly at the protected creature and isn't a touch-range attack.
Yes, it's a ranged touch attack, because that's how rays are resolved: as a ranged attack using the touch rules. But it isn't actually delivered by touch itself and so is turnable.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads