D&D General Is Spelljammer really that bad?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Group made new characters and I'm running the Light of Xaryxis adventure for them. So far, they are absolutely loving it - 2 played a bit with Spelljammer, back in the day, and they are clearly having as much fun as the rest of the group..

As for is the supplement too sparce? Hard for me to say, as I have access to my old spelljamer stuff and remember some of it anyway. But frankly, that doesn't matter, you can pick up any given old Spelljammer supplement on DMsGuild for under $10 - if you feel you need extra depth.

So far, haven't needed it for the adventure, the info provided has been more than sufficient (Had the Rock of Bral supplement ready in case the group decided to go deeper into it - wasn't necessary at all, the info provided in the 5e supplement was fine).

In short, for my group, the 5e Spelljammer stuff has been great.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I really like what is there. If they expanded what they had here to a 320 page book with a basic overview of systems for established D&D worlds and lots of tables for making up new systems...it would have been on the same level as Eberron.

the Jester

Legend
It's not terrible, but it's not good, and it's absolutely lacking. The best part is the monster book; the worst is the adventure, which frankly suffers from the new obsession with being able to finish it in a few nights- it's extremely linear, with very little that is actually challenging. There's really not enough detail about the setting itself- it gives a pretty sparse overview of wildspace and the Astral Sea, but not much in terms of locations, interesting things to explore, etc.

I love Spelljammer, but I give 5e's feeble stab at it a C-.

I think the spelljammer needs to be built as a dedicated world instead of trying to be connective tissue for other worlds.

I've done some stewing with a few people and well, here it is.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Clown Space, just as a name, gives me plenty of information.
No it doesn't. It gives you no information at all. Is it named that because clowns come from there? Or is it because all of the inhabitants have a highly developed sense of humor(class clowns)? Or could it be because instead of giant space whales it has giant space clown fish? You don't know, because no information is conveyed to you based on a name. It can inspire you to think of things related to clowns, but that's it.

Zardnaar

Legend
So... again, just because it isn't the same as the 2e version means it cannot be a good setting for someone who has never touched 2e?

Unlike watering down a beer, less information in a setting doesn't make that information lesser. It is like buying a single can of your favorite beer instead of a warehouse full. Sure, you have less, but that doesn't mean it isn't good for someone trying it for the first time.

Doesn't have to be the same but if you're using the name it's gonna get compared to what came before.

I had ordered it but canceled once reports started coming in. It's even more expensive here think no Amazon sales add more.

.I don't expect them to match 2E product line just comparing boxed set to boxed set (1989 to 2022).
It's your 2.5% light beer because you can't get drunk in front of your in llaws vs a nice 7-8% whatever.

No point, anemic, wasted.

Chaosmancer

Legend
My issue is that new player or old, if I use what 5e gave me I have to put in craptons of work myself to make anything they mention work. Bral, ship combat, ship movement is just stupid, etc. They devote an entire 5 pages to adventuring. A whole 5 pages!!! The rest is taken up by ships and the meager 5 pages on Bral. It's worthless as a setting, giving us nearly double the pages on character options than they spend on adventuring in the "setting."

Ship combat and Ship movement is not setting material. That is mechanics. This is like saying that Faerun is a terrible setting because of the ship combat rules (since they mostly the same rules) that has nothing to do with the setting.

And, I don't see needing to put in any more work to run the Rock of Bral than I need to put in to run Waterdeep, Chult or Neolantin. Do I have to put in work? Sure. But not an unusual amount of work.

And, whether or not 5 pages (5 pages!!!) matters is how good those pages are. And they are really good. I've got a solid idea of how to run those adventures. I don't need another ten pages, I've got plenty.

And you'd get it wrong without the 2e stuff to let you know how he got his knowledge, his outlook on that knowledge and why he withholds some information.

I cannot possibly get it wrong. If I'm running him with only the 5e knowledge, then I'm running him completely fine. Because there is no right or wrong way for me to depict an NPC.

It wasn't the same information. 2e tells us a lot more about running Luigi.

Sure, it gives us a bit more insanity and pride for him, but I don't need that. And again, you are going at this as "There is a correct way, because there was an old version of the setting." Someone who has never touched or heard of 2e isn't going to be running Large Luigi and thinking "something feels off, it feels like I'm missing some massive gap about this character" . No, they are going to be running him, and they will be running him correctly for their game, because we have plenty of information.

Try and stop thinking about 2e and look at the 5e Spelljammer as if it was the first version of the setting. Because for many people? It is.

Absolutely. It makes him far more interesting.

He's a fat, friendly beholder barkeeper. He was plenty interesting without being a god of knowledge.

Nothing is needed. They could have just given you the name of the bar and let you make the innkeeper.

Correct. Would that be a bad thing? Would the setting not work just because a bar existed, but the bartender wasn't listed down explicitly?

Plenty of settings have bars with no names. PLenty of settings tell us about a country, and name a capital and never name a single bar in that country. That doesn't make them bad settings

That's the one place the 5e book mentions in any detail at all. I had to go with that since the 5e book is so sparse it makes a desert look like a rainforest. And I love how you ignored that there are 62 locations in the lower city in the 2e book, detailed NPCs to use that the 5e book doesn't even mention, many, many extra locations in the rest of the city that the 5e book doesn't mention, and more. The 2e book has depth. The 5e book is 2 dimensional.

I love how you continue refusing to engage the premise. But, let's try this. 62 locations is the minimum right?

Name 50 locations in Gondor. Middle Earth is a great setting, right? You wouldn't say Middle Earth is a two-dimensional setting with no depth, so if the Lower City of the Rock of Bral (a section of a single city) needs at least 60 locations to be functional, then Gondor should have at least 50 right?

Here, I'll make it even easier, 50 locations between Gondor and Rohan.

Yes, the book doesn't list every single location in all of Spelljammer, but do they need to? Do they actually need to detail hundreds of planets and thousands of ships, or is the fact that we know those things are out there plenty to run the setting?

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I got it finally. I like this iteration a lot. (I bought the platinum Beedle and Grimm’s version, which was printed with the errata!)

My first intro to AD&D was playing Spelljammer. I know people say it is a setting in its own, but I never felt that. As a player I always felt it was a way to get between settings by ship. We went between Realms, Krynn, Ravenloft, and some of the locations mentioned only in earlier Spelljammer stuff.

This gives that In 5E well enough that I’m satisfied.

I do wish there was more. I always do. But I also love when I get thin references to things which I, as DM, can run with on my own and expand. And in that Spelljammer 5E seems to lean quite a bit.

I never intended to re-boot a Spelljammer campaign that retread the old material. I wanted a toolbox for running 5E adventures in my own home brew fantasy space. Ships, space encounters, weird creatures, weird gravity, light ship combat.

Speaking of ship combat. I was worried it would be far too light for even my use. It is light, no doubt! But I like what is it and have no intention of hunting out some separate rules system to hack in.

Last edited:

Remove ads