D&D 5E Is Tasha's More or Less The Universal Standard?

Greg K

Legend
If I were running 5e, I would allow some of the proficieny tradeoffs (on a case by case basis or as a tool for myself as DM to customize), some of the fighter options (and, maybe rogue options), and a few spells, but not much else.

Omega9999

Carnyfex Dynastarum
I have a twilight cleric in the party I DM. So, well, Thas is allowed.
While I like most of Tasha's stuff, I don' like the custom lineages and races. I have allowed only to swap the +1 of the races to any ability score that is important to the class you're playing.

Last edited:

Yora

Legend
I only ran one campaign in the past and might run another one later this year, and I only run games with only stuff from the PHB.
Primarily because I think it interferes with the game when players are too focused on their character sheets and optimization. It's already bad enough with the PHB as it is, and bringing further books in only makes it worse. I also feel I need to understand all the abilities of the PCs and the abilities they might gain in the forseeable future, and I don't want to have to memorize additional books that I think are completely unnecessary anyway.

In the mini campaign I ran I allowed all of it and in the games I've played in DMs allow all of it. I don't see why I'd ban any of it going forward with the next campaign unless it's purely a thematic decision.

I feel like the calls of overpowered-ness or power creep are extremely exaggerated. Every time a book comes out, 99% of it could be underpowered but if there's one or two desirable options, some folks will declare the whole thing broken.

Last edited:

Remove ads