D&D 5E Is Tasha's More or Less The Universal Standard?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I didn't say they weren't useful. I said they weren't universally very useful, which was your claim.

Sure, it's better to have a higher initiative modifier than a lower one. That doesn't mean that it's better to have a higher initiative than it is to have a higher INT-based spell attack roll.

I played a dwarf battlemaster for four levels, ending in an untimely death at the horns of a minotaur. DEX was my dump stat, because I was leaning in to the archetype. I fired a crossbow a several times over those four levels, and I hit a few times. Mostly I fought melee or used thrown weapons. Frankly, I didn't want to take the time to unequip my shield. I never, ever fell into a pit. DEX would not have helped my AC. I had enough hit points to survive any failed reflex saves -- though I can't remember any particular instances in which I failed the save. Low initiative was not a big deal.

I DMed for a high DEX wizard running from level 1 to 11. She succeeded in most of her DEX saves, and she still managed to be knocked out of the fight by area of effect spells that did enough damage, even on a save, to drop her. Several times. Nearly every time that I called for a DEX save. That saving throw modifier just wasn't much benefit to her.

Well, I have said (at least twice, in this thread, in conversation with you, I believe) that it's often more advantageous to have moderately high scores in multiple abilities than to have one high and one low.

In threads like this, it's easy to lose the context of the conversation. I admit I might have lost that context. But, for clarity, here's the context in which I'm making my comments:

* We're talking about the relative value of racial ASIs in different ability scores and how floating ASIs in TCoE might affect balance. So, when I say that DEX is not objectively better than INT (or any other stat), I mean, specifically, that a racial DEX ASI is not inherently better than one in INT. It depends on character and the way that character is played. I also mean that it is not universally the case that it's better to have a higher DEX than INT.

* You made a list of the ways in which DEX was better than INT, and you stated that none of the advantages that you enumerated were small factors. I said, and I maintain, that for some characters, some of those advantages are small, and some of them are non-factors all together. You simply over-stated your case.
How many characters have to care about those factors for it to matter according to you? What percentage? Giving up a couple anecdotes doesn’t really prove anything.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I mean, you got to be bad at something, right? So I guess the question that should be asked is, if you have a choice, what would you prefer to be bad at?

ECMO3

Hero
You don't need to maximize it for it to be universally useful. There is no PC class that wouldn't benefit from better initiative, saves and AC. There are classes that don't see the same benefit from int.
There are many characters who will not get a better AC out of dexterity.

Moreover this logic is true for any stat.

Irlo

Hero
How many characters have to care about those factors for it to matter according to you? What percentage? Giving up a couple anecdotes doesn’t really prove anything.
???

I didn’t say those factors don’t matter. But to the point, a couple of anecdotes does prove it’s not universal.

ECMO3

Hero
Well, I have said (at least twice, in this thread, in conversation with you, I believe) that it's often more advantageous to have moderately high scores in multiple abilities than to have one high and one low.

I agree, with the caveat your main stat should generally be high.

For most characters that are not ranged martials or rogues a 14 Dex and 12 Intelligence is generally going to make for a better and stronger character than a 16 dexterity and 8 intelligence. If you are doing point buy those are the same costs.

That is not always true, but it is generally true and it is probably the most extreme example.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

Moreover this logic is true for any stat.
I said class, not character. Dex is objectively the more universally useful stat of the two for all classes.

Will a few narrowly focused int classes get more out of int? Sure. How many int classes are there compared to those that don't revolve around int? There are about as many dex focused classes. And dex generally helps the int characters, too. They generally don't want to get hit due to low hit points, so dex is pretty up their on their priority list as well. The same can't be said about dex classes and int. For the majority of classes that don't revolve around dex or int, dex is far and away the generally more useful of the two stats.

Dex and int are not equal. It's not even close. Dex outstrips int in usefulness and quality.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Oh that's not good, then you're opinions will be dismissed and lambasted constantly....

Damn. I'm bad at forum debating too.

I honestly feel like once it is an official publication, it is used by anyone who buys the book. I've never really seen a table, unless there is an uber-specific campaign, where everything wasn't allowed.

This was actually why so many people argue about minutia, like racial abilities. Because in gaming terms, they feel it is not a slippery slope fallacy to say, once it happens it will always be the rule, not the exception. I don't know if that's true, but I definitely get why people are fearful sometimes.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Do you think that number will be the same or as high as those who do get a better AC from a dex bonus? Because I think that while there are "many"(in quotes because that number is small relative to the number that do get AC) characters who don't get a better AC out of dex, the vast majority of characters do get a bonus from it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases