D&D 5E Is Tasha's More or Less The Universal Standard?

Irlo

Hero
I may have explained badly then. - You are correct in that technically all ability scores are universally useful: All else being equal, having a higher number is a score is better than a lower number.
However no other ability score is as universally useful across the entire gamut of character classes etc. Taken as a whole, Dex is more useful than any other single ability score.
I wasn’t clear. IMO no ability score is universally useful.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I may have explained badly then. - You are correct in that technically all ability scores are universally useful: All else being equal, having a higher number is a score is better than a lower number.
However no other ability score is as universally useful across the entire gamut of character classes etc. Taken as a whole, Dex is more useful than any other single ability score.
I will grant thar Dex has a larger number of obvious external applications...but not all are necessarily that important to all characters.

I wasn’t clear. IMO no ability score is universally useful.
I would disagree there. Every character is going to be rolling initiative at some point, and going before your opponent is always better than going after.
I will grant thar Dex has a larger number of obvious external applications...but not all are necessarily that important to all characters.
I don't believe that anyone is suggesting that all the potential benefits of Dex are important to all characters.
But some are of benefit to all characters.

ECMO3

Hero
There is a powerful build idea using Elven Accuracy and dual-wielding finesse weapons in order to get crits to smite with for example. Dex-based Paladins may not be common, but they are viable.
True, but I would not call that a versatile build. That is a very narrow build, and you will need to make it narrower still to optimize it and get regular reliable advantage.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I would disagree there. Every character is going to be rolling initiative at some point, and going before your opponent is always better than going after.
Yes, that’s true. (Well, maybe not always, but those are edge cases.)
I would just add that IME going first in not really always better. In many combats, acting first often involves moving to engage or reduce range to normal. If the distance is enough, you won't even get to act other than moving. However, your opponent acting second will likely not have to move as much and will get to take an action.

Also, given the cyclical nature of initiative, all you do get a the first action. After that, it is always you-go-they-go-you-go-they-go etc.

To be clear, DEX is probably the most universally good ability and with rare exceptions a DEX below 12 is extremely rare IME. CON is next, and is also typically 12-14 or better. One of those two, if not both, often serve as secondary and tertiary abilities. Unless it fits a build concept, DEX and CON are never last or even next-to-last IME.

ECMO3

Hero
But it is rarely decisive. The actual d20 roll is more.important than the modifier, and even them it is not a primary consideration in the fight.
I totally get this!

So I recently finished a campaign with an 11th level bladesinger with a 16 dex who felt like her average starting initiative was 9!

I swear my 8 dex Tempest cleric has done better.

Remove ads