D&D (2024) Is the 5E player base going to split?

players are reliant on companies to produce new official content
How so? Not only can you make endless campaigns of your own (a long and storied tradition particularly w/ dnd), but there are massive volumes of 5e content out there, not just from wotc, but also from 3rd party and individual publishers. Again, it's not like a videogame where you play the official content and then you're done.

Unwise

Adventurer
I like to skip to the end of long threads like this to see what the latest discussion is. It is normally either something really odd yet heated like:

"I told you, Ferrets are a type of muskilid! and I fail to see how the breeding cycle of tortoises is even relevant to this discussion of Keats!"

Or it is Morrus telling two people to be civilised as their off-topic discussion of My Little Pony themed D&D fanfic has become a flamewar.

I was disappointed to see we remained on topic this time.

Back on topic though: I think D&D players will keep speaking the same language with any 5.5 split, it will be a minor different in accent at most I think. I can't see any significant changes splintering things in any meaningful way. We are not readopting ThAC0 or a 4e style change. I think it will be less of a difference than 4e was to 4e Essentials. They still play the exact same way, with a minor tweak to the design philosophy.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Right, they're kind of vague about it - you get access to the digital MC, the first volume is free, there will be other free stuff (like the Spelljammer adventure)... but until MC Volume 2 arrives I wouldn't assume the whole stack will be free.
No, they said there would be a free series of the Monstrous Compendiums specifically.

JEB

Legend
No, they said there would be a free series of the Monstrous Compendiums specifically.
Oh? Where? From Wizards/D&D Beyond sources, I see the following...

This is just the first volume of monsters coming to your D&D Beyond account! You'll be able to collect more creatures from across the multiverse as additional releases of Monstrous Compendium drop!

An ever-expanding digital collection of goodies to unlock can all be found at D&D Beyond, starting with the Monstrous Compendium - Volume One: Spelljammer Creatures.

Neither promises that future volumes will be free.

All the other sources I can find are third-party news sites, some of which are interpreting it as "all free" and others as "Volume One is free." (I actually can't even find a Wizards source that promises the free Spelljammer adventure, though that I don't doubt so much.)

Was there something in a Youtube video or such?

EDIT: Sidenote, you don't even need a DDB account to see Volume One now: Spelljammer Creatures

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh? Where? From Wizards/D&D Beyond sources, I see the following...

Neither promises that future volumes will be free.

All the other sources I can find are third-party news sites, some of which are interpreting it as "all free" and others as "Volume One is free." (I actually can't even find a Wizards source that promises the free Spelljammer adventure, though that I don't doubt so much.)

Was there something in a Youtube video or such?

EDIT: Sidenote, you don't even need a DDB account to see Volume One now: Spelljammer Creatures
From your first link, calling it "the first in a series of monthly drops available to all D&D Beyond users!" And they talked about it being an ongoing free series of Monstrous Compendiums in the after show for the Direct, whixh is whynall the news sites mention it.

teitan

Legend
Unless you don't like how they changed the monsters (particularly spellcasting ones), or removed cultural content from the race rules altogether in favor of a "make up the fluff you want, you don't need mechanics" approach to it.
That only matters to people like us, we aren’t the majority of players.

JEB

Legend
From your first link, calling it "the first in a series of monthly drops available to all D&D Beyond users!" And they talked about it being an ongoing free series of Monstrous Compendiums in the after show for the Direct, whixh is whynall the news sites mention it.
It being the first in a series, and it being free, doesn't make the entire series free...

And I just checked the D&D Direct, the relevant part starts at 48:48. They say the series will continue to be updated (49:40) and throughout the year there will be more (49:55). At no point do they clearly say it'll all remain free, only that it'll be available. (The video does earlier confirm the free Spelljammer starter adventure, FWIW.)

As for the after-show, if the only record we have is what's on third-party news sites, as mentioned they're also not consistent about whether or not all the installments will be free, or just this one.

I'm not saying they definitely won't be free. I'm just saying there's no definitive statement, which leaves room for future installments to cost money. And it wouldn't surprise me if that's exactly what they do.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It being the first in a series, and it being free, doesn't make the entire series free...

And I just checked the D&D Direct, the relevant part starts at 48:48. They say the series will continue to be updated (49:40) and throughout the year there will be more (49:55). At no point do they clearly say it'll all remain free, only that it'll be available. (The video does earlier confirm the free Spelljammer starter adventure, FWIW.)

As for the after-show, if the only record we have is what's on third-party news sites, as mentioned they're also not consistent about whether or not all the installments will be free, or just this one.

I'm not saying they definitely won't be free. I'm just saying there's no definitive statement, which leaves room for future installments to cost money. And it wouldn't surprise me if that's exactly what they do.
I'm pretty certain they clarified in the aftershow that this is a free series.

Remove ads