Is the DM the most important person at the table

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
So we have a group of 5 and the DM leaves.... now we have a group of 4 with a new DM.
Or you have a group of 4 with nowhere to play (IME the game is invariably at the DM's home) who then just drift apart.

Is a good DM more important than a good player? I'm not as sure anymore.
A DM of any kind is more important than a player in one respect, in that without a DM the player has no place to play.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Every person at the table, whether they're a GM or a player, has the potential to be as valuable as anyone else by contributing to the shared experience of the game in a positive way. Good players attend regularly, participate to include everyone else, and follow the queues set by others to build a shared narrative and a fun atmosphere. Mostly, they ensure that everyone else has a good time playing together as a group.

That being said, the role of the GM is the most important of any RPG. The person who accepts the role responsibly and competently should be both respected and appreciated. But just like players, there are good and bad GMs who have the potential to make or break a game.

A good GM, for example, sets the tone for the group and cultivates a fun, entertaining environment for all players to enjoy. This is especially important when introducing new players because a negative experience can create a wrong impression that will stick. That kind of damage is hard to undo. By contrast, a bad player can be overlooked, and when necessary, removed from the group if unwilling or unable to be corrected.

Fanaelialae

Legend
First among equals.

Everyone's enjoyment is important. However, the DM/GM assumes a position of responsibility at the table. They are the referee. They ostensibly prep material for each game (or are on the hook for improvising it). They aren't more important than anyone else, but their role bestows different/more rights and responsibilities (within the context of the game table) than the role of player.

Last edited:

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
Another thread has me thinking about this. On one hand the DM tends to be the person who arranges the game and puts in the most work. He plans things and runs the game. On the other hand everyone is there to have fun and most times these people are your friends and family. Everyone is giving up time to play and social norms tend to make things 'fair' to everyone.

I tend to think that everyone needs to be having fun at the table. I also think that the table needs to be a partner in making the fun. This means that players should help the DM and play PCs that are part of the campaign that the DM is making. Nobody wants to play with the player that is trying to disrupt the game and derail the plot. Now if that person is your brother or best friend, things become harder.

Not sure if you all are going to have vastly different opinions, but thank you.

I always liked the term "referee" better -- it implies neutrality and doesn't have importance overly tied to it, as "Dungeon Master" and "Game Master" do. Yes, they run the scenario, but the best referees let the chips fall where they may without trying to influence proceedings. That said, I've seen scenarios run where the party WANTS the referee to influence things, to point them in the right direction, give hints, etc. But that's more a party dynamic and preference. Some players want to be lead, some groups want more agency. It should all be an agreement about "how we'll play" at the beginning.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Or you have a group of 4 with nowhere to play (IME the game is invariably at the DM's home) who then just drift apart.

It could be the reverse just as easily - they are at the player's house and when he leaves they have no place to play and drift apart.

A DM of any kind is more important than a player in one respect, in that without a DM the player has no place to play.

I'm not seeing why.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
If the DM leaves, then, someone else will become the DM... People are people. I suppose, if the DM leaves, it will destroy the campaign, while, when a player leaves, the same does not happen, but, in a traditional sense, the DM is no more important than any of the players. I play D&D to have fun with my mates, not to become the lord of the table.

FrogReaver

Another thread has me thinking about this. On one hand the DM tends to be the person who arranges the game and puts in the most work.

That's not always the case. For example last weekend we had a player miss and decided it best to wait on him to return to continue our primary campaign. So the players created characters which took them about an hour and I helped and put about 15 mins of thought into their adventure. They certainly put more work in this week than I did.

He plans things and runs the game. On the other hand everyone is there to have fun and most times these people are your friends and family. Everyone is giving up time to play and social norms tend to make things 'fair' to everyone.

Sure, but a good player pushes the game forward and really makes the game come to life - sometimes even making a bad DM appear good.

FrogReaver

If the DM leaves, then, someone else will become the DM... People are people. I suppose, if the DM leaves, it will destroy the campaign, while, when a player leaves, the same does not happen, but, in a traditional sense, the DM is no more important than any of the players. I play D&D to have fun with my mates, not to become the lord of the table.

I think what we are seeing here is the general perception that it's harder to DM good than play good. I'm not sure that's the case.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases