Is the DM the most important person at the table

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
So I haven't seen anyone here characterize DMing D&D as hard. We've said it's harder than being a player and this is a fact. Saying that we are arguing that DMing is hard and then constructing a counter is a classic Strawman.

Take your 3 room dungeon for example. The DM had to create a dungeon. The players didn't. The DM had to come up with the encounters to put into the dungeon. The players didn't. The DM has to describe the evironment. The players don't. The DM has to run 6 goblins, deciding where they move, who they attack and how they attack, if they run, etc. The players have to worry about 1 PC each. The DM has to adjudicate all actions the PCs take. The players adjudicate nothing.

DMing is not hard. It is in fact harder than playing.

First you have to decide if the outcome is in doubt. You don't even get to a roll until after the DM completes this step and decides that the outcome is in doubt. Then the DM needs to figure out if there are any bonuses, penalties, advantage or disadvantage that apply to the roll, and often those things don't come from a player specific ability. THEN the DM comes up with the DC. If the action isn't specifically covered by the rules, which happens fairly often in 5e, the DM has to come up with even more in order to adjudicate things. The DM also needs to figure out if the action in question is going to use the typical stat for the skill, or use an unusual stat. Afterwards, the DM narrates the result. The player just declares what he wants to try and do, and hopefully how.

Not according to the 5e DMG, page 5. That page gives a very clear example of the DM's job as master of rules including correcting a player error on movement.

I’ve seen many people here argue it’s hard.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I haven't, but admittedly I've skipped several posts. I have seen quote a few people saying it's harder and being accused of saying it's hard. I have seen those people like my posts clarifying that while it's not hard to DM, it is harder than playing.

I think you missed some important early on content.

Imaro

Legend
You've said a few things about how you're currently playing BitD -- that GMing is work intesive for you and that your players haven't had to make large adjustments coming from D&D. That has me very curious as to what play looks like at your table, because those two statements are very different from my experiences -- or, if I may, how I've understood @hawkeyefan's related experiences. Since this thread appears well and truly derailed at this point, would you mind presenting a quick overview of how one of your sessions goes? I'm curious if you're importing some D&Disms into play.

I probably don't have the time to write up an entire session but if you had specific questions or aspects you want insight into how they played out at my table I'd be happy to provide them... though not sure this specific thread would be the best place to discuss.

jasper

Rotten DM
Eh, for the most part the argument has been framed in terms of DM workload vs. Player workload.
Thanks. To sum up. And a little add.
GMing is hard due to fact the GM has a larger workload than a Player.
Little add. As GM I have to talk to all you beeping people. As Player I just have to talk to the GM.
I not talking to Lanefan this week because he told the head cheerleader I thought she was hot. And now that evil football captain Maxperson has shove me into my locker.
hello hello is any one out there? My locker combination is 32-.6.36

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Thanks. To sum up. And a little add.
GMing is hard due to fact the GM has a larger workload than a Player.
Little add. As GM I have to talk to all you beeping people. As Player I just have to talk to the GM.
I not talking to Lanefan this week because he told the head cheerleader I thought she was hot. And now that evil football captain Maxperson has shove me into my locker.
hello hello is any one out there? My locker combination is 32-.6.36
To be clear. Are you saying DMing is hard, or just harder than playing due to the work load?

jasper

Rotten DM
To be clear. Are you saying DMing is hard, or just harder than playing due to the work load?
I not talking to you this week!. :)
Harder due to the work load. Even if you push all the rules knowledge, and booking keeping to another gamer; a GM has to handle multiple people talking to them.

Remove ads