Is The Expanse RPG becoming vaporware?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
The initial game where this rules engine came into being is Dragon Age (the TTRPG adaptation of the CRPG).

Much later the IP specific details were stripped out and a generic Fantasy AGE product was published.

However, with the exception of M&M, and Freeport, Green Ronin is notorious for abandoning properties as soon as the easy initial sales are done.

(It doesn't take a genius to explain why you haven't heard of AGE before - there's simply no support. Of course the engine languishes in obscurity!)

I would hope that that the popularity of the books and TV series would make an exception for the Expanse. On the other hand, its strengths are its weaknesses. The Expanse is a science-based scifi setting where both the protagonists and antagonists are almost elusively human. It is not a kitchen sink Fantasy in Space setting like Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, or Starfinder. But the lack of diversity in settings, species, class options, etc. could lead folks to tire of it quickly. This is an argument for publishing well-written adventures to support it. Give some more options, perhaps create an "expanded universe" setting for the RPG.

On the other hand, even if I only run a mini-campaign or the occasional one shot, it is still a good investment for me. It provides a very different setting supported by a set of easy to learn mechanics that are well suited for the setting.

Even if I only get 16-32 hours of enjoyment out of it (reading the materials and running a couple games), it still ranks low in per-hour entertainment costs.

Bagpuss

Legend
Question: during the Kickstarter, was there ever any plans for a campaign.

A six part campaign were part of the stretch goals (all met) if you backed $30 or more then you get them as a pdf, it is called Abzu's Bounty campaign (not sure if it will be released along with the rule book or follow later, I suspect later). When they announced it in an update it was "Announcing the First Campaign!" so I'm not sure if that means they have others in mind and in the pipeline.

Backers above $30 are also getting a load of ship deck plans (I think five in all) and a new short story.

I suspect (if they have any sense) they have sourcebooks planned to follow the books, and campaigns to match.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

I got the CrowdOx survey about an hour ago. They're getting ready to ship the physical product.

I received a package today containing a beautiful hard-cover book and an accompanying GM's kit. Very nice. Amazing how fast this KS was fulfilled--thanks GR.

Ship Naked is really on the ball. Up here in beautiful Fredericton New Brunswick Canada.

Anyone else so blessed?

MK

MNblockhead

I'm very happy with the materials overall. I only have two complaints. The first is a minor complaint: a number of typos made it into the final. I would hope Green Ronin would have had better editing. It is not terrible, but more than one or two typos indicates skimping on the proof reading. The second is that I find the organization difficult to follow. You have to flip around a lot. It is nice to have the GM section in the same book as the player section, but having the players and GM sections separated by the many pages of setting information makes it inconvenient to read, look up, and follow the rules. I'm glad for the DM Kit stretch goal. The laminated rule references will make things much easier.

While the modified AGE system is pretty easy to pick up, I found the organization made it hard to follow than it needs to be.

Also, I'm disappointed in the lack of video examples. There are a few live play sessions, but they are hours long and run by people who are just learning the system. Some are working with the early quick-start rules an not the final released versions. I wish the creators would have recorded a series of short videos covering various aspects of the rules, e.g., space combat, social tests, churn rules, etc. These could be 3-10 minutes each and would make it much easier to pick the rules up.

These are minor complaints though, and I'm excited to play the game.

If anyone in the Twin Cities areas would like to get together, I'd be happy to run one-shots for a group of 3 to 6, either at the Fantasy Flight Games Center in Roseville or at a WeWork office in downtown Minneapolis. PM me if you are interested.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases