• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is the only purpose of a spellcasting focus to eschew common material components?

el_stiko

Explorer
Differences between basic and starter

I notice that the basic rules state you can use a focus in place of components, but the starter only says the cleric can do that.

Further, the leaked alpha of the PHB skips that concept entirely.

Nagol

Unimportant
Is it one or the other? Either use a foci or use the spell component pouch?

Could you not have a pouch for when you cant reach/use your Focus?

You can have several types of foci, multiple pouches and then a supply of your more commonly used components stashed about your body if you wish so far as I can tell. They are all basic equipment.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm sure there will be magical foci and other benefits forthcoming.

IIRC, they first appeared in the playtest as a way of giving casters their proficiency bonus to save DC. Now that's just automatic.

Kraztur

First Post
It could also be a story hook.

If you're like a Harry Potter wizard, you get your wand foci in wizard school.

If you're like Raistlin, you find your foci once you come into your own, say at 3rd level.

Ramaster

Adventurer
"you wouldn't deny an old man his walking stick"...
You wouldn't deny an old man his bag of animal feces...

On a more serious note, I thought that codifying and giving special qualities to the different foci (what 4e did) was a move in the right direction. It is both thematically sound and mechanically interesting.

Last edited:

jrowland

First Post
Interestingly enough, Spells like "Globe of Invulnerability" have a material component that is consumed (glass bead). If you use your Arcane Focus, I suppose that would be consumed as well - bye bye focus. Note, this is not like Raise Dead that uses a 500gp diamond (ie you MUST have a 500gp diamond).

Of course, I think the intent is: Use whatever floats your boat. (levitate, nyuk nyuk)

Remove ads