• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is the Story Hour Forum on Life Support?

Do you think the story hour forum is better or worse than it was one year ago?

• Better. There's plenty of authors around here who can dance with the Big Names!

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • Worse. I remember when I was your age, these story hours will filled with excitment!

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • About the same. Some better, some worse.

Votes: 52 50.5%
  • I wasn't visiting here a year ago, so I have no idea.

Votes: 17 16.5%

Sandain

Explorer
I read Shemeska's story hour too, I forgot about it when I wrote my list which is strange, because I look for updates for it every day.

I will have a look at these other story hours mentioned too! thanks!

doghead

thotd
My particular SH of choice is Welcome to Halmae - great characters and a writer with a flair for the cliffhanger.

As a reader, I think it is beholden upon us to pop up now and then and thank those who have taken the time to write the story in order to share it with us.

I would think that there can nothing more disheartening to be writing a SH and wondering if anyone is enjoying it.

thotd.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
As a writer, I can say that appreciative comments are incredibly important and provide much sustenance. I hate it when I post a couple of updates and there's no response. VERY discouraging.

carpedavid

First Post
Emperor Valerian said:
I don't see this forum as dying at all. As others have said, yes, many of the big big names are not posting as frequently as they once did, but there are plenty of good story hours out there to follow. If you're looking for a good one to pass the time, here's a quick list of the ones I usually check out often for updates that aren't among the "biggies."

- Capellan's "Q-Ship." I want Captain Fury's autograph! :)
- Alea Iacta, by Orichalcum. I'm fascinated by the Roman setting and how well it is displayed. And I wish I had his puzzle creating skills. :)
- PirateCat's "Code 4: Reuinion." Superhero tales from Freedom City.
- My own "The Celestial Empire," which I like to think is decent, set in medieval China.
- carpedavid's new "Land of the Crane," set in a Japaneseque setting.

Valerian, you just made my day :)

With regard to the viability of the story hour forum, it's my opinion that there are too many good stories out there to possibly keep up with. In fact, I find myself feeling guilty that I don't have the time to read as many of the other stories as I'd like. I'd like to throw my support behind a huge number of authors - but then I'd never get anything done at work. Ever.

carpedavid

First Post
barsoomcore said:
As a writer, I can say that appreciative comments are incredibly important and provide much sustenance. I hate it when I post a couple of updates and there's no response. VERY discouraging.

What barsoomcore said. Although I'd add that I appreciate constructive critical comments as well. Actually, non-constructive critical comments are ok, too. Pretty much any feedback, really, is enough to keep me interested in writing.

barsoomcore said:
Pfft! You're just picky. I rarely get one comment per two updates. I've got whole pages with no comments on them(of 7 pages). Sure, I'd like them, but I know people are reading and enjoying it when they do comment. :)

sniffles

First Post
As a newbie who only recently discovered Story Hour, I just want to let all of you know that I will read your stories just as soon as I have time! I'm really looking forward to discovering all the adventures out there. I hope to contribute a few of my own soon as well.

It's funny (to me, anyway) to think that I came to this site as the result of reading someone else's character journals on a website. Now I've got a new e-friend, and I also found my way to ENworld through her site. What a great community!

:D

spyscribe

First Post
barsoomcore said:

You know what they say, "Every time a story hour gets an unsolicited plug, another writer gets a cheap thrill."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads