• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is the Story Hour Forum on Life Support?

Do you think the story hour forum is better or worse than it was one year ago?

• Better. There's plenty of authors around here who can dance with the Big Names!

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • Worse. I remember when I was your age, these story hours will filled with excitment!

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • About the same. Some better, some worse.

Votes: 52 50.5%
  • I wasn't visiting here a year ago, so I have no idea.

Votes: 17 16.5%

Hammerhead

Explorer
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Pfft! You're just picky. I rarely get one comment per two updates. I've got whole pages with no comments on them(of 7 pages). Sure, I'd like them, but I know people are reading and enjoying it when they do comment. :)

That's because you write way too much. You probably write more daily than most authors.

As an author... yes... the unsolicited plugs can be very motivating :D

So are the looks of players at the next session, when their arms are folded, and scowls bedeck their faces as they ask, "Why haven't you updated twice this week like you said you would?" :)

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
My players don't know about the Story Hours. I feel weird about telling them. Maybe it's because my Story Hours are so "fictionalized". I dunno.

None of my players spend any time here on EN World (that I know of, anyway) and somehow I kind of like it that way.

Oh, and AMG: I'm not picky. I'm pathetic. :p

All of my players know of EN World... and they check in, then critique my writing. I started writing because one of my players asked repeatedly for a SH to be written. :)

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
What's story hour???? :confused:

V/R
BS
Story Hour Moderator :eek:

Honesty, I rarely hit these forums up but that's mostly cause I'm always in the PbP forums but if theirs something you think I, as a moderator, can do to help then please don't hesitate to contact me. :D

Hammerhead said:
That's because you write way too much. You probably write more daily than most authors.
At least a page a day in 10 font. Is this a bad thing? ;)

Hmmm...speaking of that, need to get working on tonight's update.

barsoomcore said:
Oh, and AMG: I'm not picky. I'm pathetic. :p

...oh, well nevermind then, that's okay. :D

Brother Shatterstone said:
Honesty, I rarely hit these forums up but that's mostly cause I'm always in the PbP forums but if theirs something you think I, as a moderator, can do to help then please don't hesitate to contact me. :D

One day, SOMEHOW, I'm going to get you reading mine. I know you'll like it. Still have to figure out how to get you to read it, though.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
One day, SOMEHOW, I'm going to get you reading mine. I know you'll like it. Still have to figure out how to get you to read it, though.

Don't be so sure... When you update it your games are ignored... :(

I honestly did try to read a story hour or two no to long ago but its to hard for me to read that much text on screen at once and it took about 30 pages of paper to print that one up and I know your individual updates are far bigger than those. ;) :lol:

I was thinking about this thread for the past two days and came to a thought or two.

There are a few people here whom are read and their Story Hours praised so much that they feel pressured and there is the rest of us whom only get replys or comments by our own players.

Feast or Famine victums. Stuffed or starved

What happens is then the people that feel pressured don't want to write and those dieing for attention that get none give up or don't put in any effort anymore.

Is this why you feel Story hours are "on life support?"

I see it and sometimes can almost feel it.

Mortepierre

First Post
megamania said:
I was thinking about this thread for the past two days and came to a thought or two.

There are a few people here whom are read and their Story Hours praised so much that they feel pressured and there is the rest of us whom only get replys or comments by our own players.

Feast or Famine victums. Stuffed or starved

What happens is then the people that feel pressured don't want to write and those dieing for attention that get none give up or don't put in any effort anymore.

True, but the reverse can happen too.

Case in point, my last update dated back Feb. and, since then, I hadn’t written a single line. Various reasons involved but the main one was that no matter how fast/good you write, if you’re not one of the ‘big names’ your SH is buried almost instantly.

Yet, suddenly, people started posting in my SH, requesting updates. I was first surprised and then elated. You wouldn’t believe how much energy you get from discovering you’re not as ‘unknown’ as you thought. It inspired me to write again and - presto! - two new fresh updates.

The biggest problem around here is what I call the “groupies syndrome”.

For instance, let’s take Sep’s SH. He hasn’t posted an update in 5 months, yet his SH is always on page 1. If you look at it, you’ll discover the new posts aren’t about discussing the story or the characters but only bumps or aimless banter between his fans. I can appreciate their dedication (and hopes about his return) - heck! I am one of them - but the fact is that it still pushes away other newer SH who are fighting for recognition with ‘true’ posts. After a while, it can get discouraging.

Don’t get me wrong. People like Blackdirge, Sep or Destan justly deserve their fame but rather than watching their non-updated SH being kept forcibly on page 1 forever, I would rather see them cut/pasted over to a new forum opened only to ‘legendary authors’ (or something to that effect). That would give the ‘new crop’ some breathing space.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
The way for the 'new crop' to become known is to mercilessly pimp their story hour everywhere they can. If you're discussing something that happened in game in a thread, post a link to the SH. And so forth.

Edit: For example.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads