D&D 5E Is the stun from Psychic Scream permanent if it is impossible to make the save?

I think the argument is that the reason the plank broke in the first place isn't fixed, just the break itself.
If you want to limit the spell, you can argue that "rot" is not a "break or tear". I see no reason to do so though. Break away the rotten wood. So long as the gap left is less than 1 foot it is repaired with new wood.
Like imagine a sheet of ice that's thin enough to crack if a Barbarian steps on it. You could mend the cracks all you want, that won't make the ice thicker.
Ice is not an object*, so Mending doesn't work on it. If it did though, fixing the cracks as you walked across it would work. Ice cracks, the cracks spread, then it breaks. If you could fix the cracks before they spread you could cross the ice safely. The 1 minute cast would make mending too slow anyway, but there are other spells I might allow. Certainly Shape Water RAW. It's not beyond the power of cantrips.

*unless it's an ice sculpture. But fixing a shattered ice sculpture one break at a time would be a slow job.

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
If you want to limit the spell, you can argue that "rot" is not a "break or tear". I see no reason to do so though. Break away the rotten wood. So long as the gap left is less than 1 foot it is repaired with new wood.

Ice is not an object*, so Mending doesn't work on it. If it did though, fixing the cracks as you walked across it would work. Ice cracks, the cracks spread, then it breaks. If you could fix the cracks before they spread you could cross the ice safely. The 1 minute cast would make mending too slow anyway, but there are other spells I might allow. Certainly Shape Water RAW. It's not beyond the power of cantrips.

*unless it's an ice sculpture. But fixing a shattered ice sculpture one break at a time would be a slow job.
....how is ice not an object? Are you saying that if I had a spell that can target objects, it can't target ice?
But moving on from that point, the analogy holds; if the material was fragile enough to break, Mending cannot do anything about that fact. Dried out wood, glass floors, paper walls. You can fix the break, but you cannot alter the composition of the object. This isn't about nerfing the spell but limiting it to what it says it does: This spell repairs a single break or tear in an object you touch, such as broken chain link, two halves of a broken key, a torn clack, or a leaking wineskin.

jgsugden

Legend
If the break or tear itself is more than 1 foot, you can't just repair 1 foot with a single casting and then the next foot or remainder with a second. It's a limitation listed in the spell - the break or tear itself cannot be more than 1 foot...
That depends entirely on whether there are 'sub objects' that can be repaired first leaving you with less than a 1 foot break/tear.

Picture a tile floor made up of 100 (9 inch by 9 inch) tiles. Someone comes by and smashes the entire floor into gravel. You decide to repair it. If you consider each tile to be a separate object, you can repair a tile with each casting. However, if you consider the object to be the floor, it would be impossible to fix it.

The wagon wheel is another example. Let's say you slash a wagon wheel with a great sword and shatter the rim in a spot and break 5 spokes acoross a 3 foot slash. You could fix each one as they are individually damaged in a less than 1 foot space. You could fix the rim as well as the area of it that is broken is less than 1 foot. Some DMs might require you to disassemble the wheel a bit to isolate the objects, but under RAW that is not required - each break can be no more than 1 foot, but the object can be broken in several places and have each break fixed with one casting.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
That depends entirely on whether there are 'sub objects' that can be repaired first leaving you with less than a 1 foot break/tear.

Picture a tile floor made up of 100 (9 inch by 9 inch) tiles. Someone comes by and smashes the entire floor into gravel. You decide to repair it. If you consider each tile to be a separate object, you can repair a tile with each casting. However, if you consider the object to be the floor, it would be impossible to fix it.

The wagon wheel is another example. Let's say you slash a wagon wheel with a great sword and shatter the rim in a spot and break 5 spokes acoross a 3 foot slash. You could fix each one as they are individually damaged in a less than 1 foot space. You could fix the rim as well as the area of it that is broken is less than 1 foot. Some DMs might require you to disassemble the wheel a bit to isolate the objects, but under RAW that is not required - each break can be no more than 1 foot, but the object can be broken in several places and have each break fixed with one casting.
I think that's all fair and up to DM determination.

My larger question is how often is this coming up in people's campaigns? It seems very situational.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I think that's all fair and up to DM determination.

My larger question is how often is this coming up in people's campaigns? It seems very situational.

Mending is one of those cantrips that will either get a lot of play or no play at all - depending on the DM and the campaign.

Usually best taking it in a campaign where you already know what kind of situations the DM likes/allows. Otherwise it's a crapshoot.

It does not look like Psychic Scream has a duration or concentration, just a save every round to end. So if a 20 Int Wizard (DC19) hits someone with it and they have a 3-7 Intelligence it would be permanently stunned correct?
The stunning will only last till the target makes their saving throw or the game developers recognize their mistake and issue an errata. So no, not permanent.

Remove ads