Is the UK About to Get its Own Saturday Night Live?

Zardnaar

Legend
Three words I don't often associate with each other. You stick to Victorian and Edwardian period dramas, leave the comedy to US...er...the professionals.

Erm derp. British comedy runs rings around American generally.

Except animated. US wins that.

Marc Radle

Legend
Erm derp. British comedy runs rings around American generally.

Except animated. US wins that.
Not sure what ‘Erm derp’ is, or how it contributes to the conversation …

That’s certainly a valid opinion, though definitely not one I share. I like some British comedy, but I vastly prefer good American comedy over British.

As for a British SNL, it will be very interesting to see how the SNL style of sketch comedy translates …

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Three words I don't often associate with each other. You stick to Victorian and Edwardian period dramas, leave the comedy to US...er...the professionals.
Yikes. I hold the exact opposite opinion. I prefer most British comedy to most US comedy by an order of magnitude.

I guess it's what you grow up with. But nothing's ever gonna beat Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Monty Python, Fry & Laurie (and many more) for me. They're the funniest shows ever made, period.

I am enjoying Curb Your Enthusiasm, though.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Not sure what ‘Erm derp’ is, or how it contributes to the conversation …

That’s certainly a valid opinion, though definitely not one I share. I like some British comedy, but I vastly prefer good American comedy over British.

As for a British SNL, it will be very interesting to see how the SNL style of sketch comedy translates …
I honestly cant think of any good US comedies in the past 5 years, certainly none that appeal to me more than British comedy. I suppose you could consider - the only one I can think of is What we do in Shadows (but thats a NZ premise:)) maybe Fox News?

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I remember this being an acquired taste, but it got better, like Monty Python.
1639329992175.png

Marc Radle

Legend
I do think it has a lot to do with cultural differences and what you grew up with. I’ve watched shows like Fawlty Towers, but just don’t find them overly funny. I do like Monty Python, and I love the Graham Norton show for what it’s worth.

like I said though, I think a lot of it comes down to what you grew up with.

For me, Parks and Rec or Community are great examples of fantastic American commedies.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I do think it has a lot to do with cultural differences and what you grew up with. I’ve watched shows like Fawlty Towers, but just don’t find them overly funny. I do like Monty Python, and I love the Graham Norton show for what it’s worth.

like I said though, I think a lot of it comes down to what you grew up with.

For me, Parks and Rec or Community are great examples of fantastic American commedies.
we're lucky enough to get both UK and US shows and I can objectively say that UK humour is just much funnier.
Community is an example of good US comedy, and the main reason why I said I couldnt think of anything in the past 5 years - Communitys final season was 2015 :)

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Yikes. I hold the exact opposite opinion. I prefer most British comedy to most US comedy by an order of magnitude.

I guess it's what you grow up with. But nothing's ever gonna beat Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Monty Python, Fry & Laurie (and many more) for me. They're the funniest shows ever made, period.

I am enjoying Curb Your Enthusiasm, though.

There's actually a whole subset of Americans who enjoy British comedy--my parents used to turn channels and stop when they heard a British (RP) accent in a jocular register. (They're from Latin America though...) They had to bar me from the room for a while after I started imitating Basil Fawlty in Fawlty Towers (yes, the scene you're thinking of). And with Blackadder you actually learn about history. Hey, it's not like we're the baddies. But I don't think I got into it quite as much...

BOOYAKASHA! HEAR ME NOW! I BE HERE WITH MY MAIN MAN MORRUS, WHO BE THE GREATEST DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS PLAYER EVER HERE IN DE UK! RESPECT! MORRUS, DOES YOU THINK DUNGEONS OR DRAGONS IS BETTER?

...ah, never mind. And anyway, it's Monty Python that made it into all the geek catchphrases.

I actually would be interested to see how the Brits handle the SNL format. After all, Americans have gotten much from the British, including our language, our legal system, and soon, a lesson on how to handle no longer being a superpower. ;)

Remove ads