D&D 5E Is the Warlock the Best Class?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
It amazes me how people love the classes I dislike LOL!

People rave about bards and now warlocks--two of the classes I think are very meh. I've never see either of these classes played in a manner that makes me think "Wow! Was I wrong!" I'm not saying it won't happen, I haven't even been playing 5E for a year.

So, are Warlocks the best class? Certainly not IMO, but then again whenever someone asks such a question, there is no correct answer--it is all a matter of opinion. If you want to know which class is best, I would just do a poll. "Best" means whatever those who choose to participate in the poll want it to mean: most damage, best utility, most fun, etc.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It's a great class IF you're hitting at least 4 encounters a day and get a chance at a short rest or 2. (6-8 encounters a day, to me, seems like a crazy amount outside of a dedicated dungeon crawl). Ideally, for me, warlocks would have 3-4 spells per LONG rest, and then invocations would have been created to allow for some short rest refresh or deeper spell casting if so desired.

But yea, warlock is still hella fun. The lack of spell depth makes for a lot of fun tactical decisions.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer

People rave about bards and now warlocks--two of the classes I think are very meh. I've never see either of these classes played in a manner that makes me think "Wow! Was I wrong!" I'm not saying it won't happen, I haven't even been playing 5E for a year.

So, are Warlocks the best class? Certainly not IMO, but then again whenever someone asks such a question, there is no correct answer--it is all a matter of opinion. If you want to know which class is best, I would just do a poll. "Best" means whatever those who choose to participate in the poll want it to mean: most damage, best utility, most fun, etc.
Sure. I mean, heck, a lot of times people have diametrically opposed opinions on what makes a class enjoyable in the first place.

Look at the sorcerer. What I find really enjoyable about the sorcerer (the careful rationing of spell choices due to the lack of spells known) is exactly what makes a lot of people dislike it and prefer the wizard.

I don't like playing bards - but I can tell just how powerful they are, especially Lore. The thing with bards is if they are played well you barely notice they are there - they act as power multipliers for other classes.

I would rather play a character that hits things or blows stuff up, but I'm well aware that that is probably not the most effective tactics.

Dausuul

Legend
Warlocks can be one of the best classes, or one of the worst. It depends almost entirely on whether you get the expected number of short rests or not. No other class is so dependent on the short rest mechanic, although monks come close.

If you get at least 2 short rests per long rest, warlocks are both powerful and fun. If you don't, they are both underpowered and dull.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
It's easily the best designed class. More player build choices than any other class, lots of customization, great thematic feel...yeah. I wish the design team had been this creative with some other classes.
The playtest sorcerer was of similar quality IMO, but it didn’t do well in the surveys because it was too different from what people expected out of a sorcerer. I remember the general consensus on the WotC forum was that it was really cool, but would be better as its own thing to be released in a later book, rather than the core sorcerer.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I don't know, I wasn't involved in the games referred to. "nothing but blasting" was said I think.

I can think of a couple of warlock characters who seem interesting to me, but I haven't had opportunity to play them yet.
This is a pretty common grievance with the Warlock, but honestly, if you find the Eldritch Blast spam boring, then don’t build an Eldritch Blast warlock. There are so many other viable ways to play a warlock, if you think the class is nothing but blasting, you’re not looking hard enough. Also, if Eldritch Blast spam warlock is boring, what does that say about Fighters?

Remove ads