Level Up (A5E) Is the Warlock the king of at-will damage?

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I just explained the argument for why that wouldn't work. The Invocation specifies both attacks are with the Pact Blade. It's about what effect gains trump through being the more "specific" rule in "specific vs general".

If Thirsting Blade is the more specific, it doesn't work. If Eldritch Scythe is, then it does.

EDIT: At least I think that's the argument, because that's the only thing that could maybe make them not work together.
Oh. Okay. Then lemme try this way:

Thirsting Blade states you get to make 2 attacks with your pact weapon on your turn instead of 1 "When you take the Attack Action."

Eldritch Scythe specifies that you can use it "When you would use a weapon attack as part of the Attack Action or an Opportunity Attack"

Further, Pact of the Blade itself says that if your pact weapon has a bonus you can apply it to your Eldritch Blast or Ray attacks.

Eldritch Scythe is an attack replacer that still uses the base weapon (If it's a pact weapon it also gains bonuses). So you swing your Pact Weapon and the Eldritch Scythe appears around it. Because you're -using- your Pact Weapon to make a Weapon Attack as part of the Attack Action. It's a Weapon Attack, not an Unarmed Attack.

Does that solve it?

VanguardHero

Adventurer
I haven't actually seen that. Could you direct me to the thread which confirms that interpretation?
It was actually one of the devs responding to you on Discord
unknown.png

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
It was actually one of the devs responding to you on Discord
unknown.png
Responding to me, no less!

I remember that conversation, now. Almost a month before Level Up dropped.

He also said you can replace your off-hand attack while dual-wielding with Eldritch Blast, though.

So just do that. Thirsting Blade for 2 swings with your pact weapon. Off-hand Eldritch Scythe.

Bonus Points if your Pact Weapon is a Double-Weapon so the weapon-enchant bonuses still apply to the Scythe!

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
Keep in mind that my opinion is only my own, and that revisions to warlock's attack replacements are incoming.

(Missing 4e's power structure/ "basic attack")

Remove ads