D&D General Is there a published adventure set during the Elf/Drow split?

Grantypants

Explorer
There's a lot of backstory discussion of the Elves and the Drow and how long ago the Drow abandoned the surface and were corrupted by Lolth, etc. Are there any good published adventures that are explicitly set during that schism? Any system or edition. I think there's some interesting story possibilities there, but I don't want to repeat what other people have done.

(Unless what they did is really good, in which case I will use it and tell my players that I came up with it entirely myself.)

Yora

Legend
Of course I don't know every adventure ever written, but I've never heard of any such a thing. There's very little material of any type set in the "ancient times" of any official D&D setting, and to my knowledge nothing set that far back.

The Forgotten Realms setting does have some information on that topic, most of which probably in the 3rd Edition sourcebook Lost Empires of Faerûn. It has a big chapter on the early elven empires of that setting, but no adventure, I believe.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Lost Empires of Faerûn for 3.5e contains a section on the Crown Wars including Drscent of the Drow, not an adventure though

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Grand History of the Realms (a book of timelines) also covers the Crown Wars.

I also know of no adventures set in the pre-Descent period, but with the two books mentioned you would know enough to adapt the heroes / villains found in another adventure module (or two).

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
There are no such TSR/WotC adventures, no. There may be some 3rd party stuff, but that's outside my wheelhouse.

Voadam

Legend
There is a little bit on the history of the Descent and such in 2e's FOR2 Drow of the Underdark but not nearly as much as you might expect. Less than a page.

Here is from page 46:

The history of the drow in the Realms is long and grand, but very murky to the sage or interested inquirer of today. Truth has been willfully twisted by clever and fanatical drow to serve many partisan noble House interests and the major drow faiths. It is usual in Lolth-dominated communities, for example, to pretend that traitors to the Goddess, or vanquished noble Houses, simply "never existed." Although this is a hollow deceit at the time, it effectively "rewrites history" by four generations later. The history of the drow can thus only be recounted in general terms—following the work of Shahaerynus, a drow sage who dwelt in long-ago Myth Drannor, and compiled The High History of the Drow. What you are about to read are excerpts from this book. Susprina, Elminster tells us, is currently working on a sequel.

The Descent
We know very little of the Ilythiiri, or "Elves of the South," before this crucial event. Even then, they were known as "Dark Elves," for the hue of their skins. They dwelt in the jungles and hot forests of the South. A proud, warlike, culturally advanced (some sages of other elven peoples say "decadent") folk, the Hythiiri attacked all neighbors, including other elven tribes. Their cruel raids and depredations, ordered by warlike nobility and the clergy of their two cruel deities, Ghaunadaur and Lolth, forced elves, humans, dwarves, and others to ally against them.
Defeated in a series of titanic magical battles, the dark elves fled into underground warrens they had earlier discovered. This event, known as "the Descent," marked the end of the drow as a surface-dwelling race.

The Dark Wars
The warlike drow nature did not change when they escaped their surface foes. They immediately launched a series of wars to establish territories in the Underdark. They began by stealing and seizing dwarven magical items, and using them against the dwarves—establishing an enmity that is still strong today.
The drow then fought among themselves, noble against noble, priest against priestess, for rule of their new realm. This all-out war ended amid great magical explosions that brought down the roof of the largest dwarven cavern they had seized, great Bhaerynden. The ceiling collapsed entirely, burying many drow and the shattered dwarven cities. The cavern, now open to the sky, became known as The Great Rift. The surviving drow nobles gathered what people, slaves, and equipment they could seize, and fled into the Underdark in search of places to dwell. "The Scattering" brought about the many rival, self-interested cities where most drow live today.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
It's possible, of course, that there was no split - that no matter how far back you go history always says it happened "a long time ago". And as the except @Voadam cites states, a hollow deceit effectively rewrites history a few generations later.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
A fun adventure path could be a Bill & Ted sort of thing where a Rufus character sends the party to important moments in history to nudge events one way or another.

Each phase would include DM notes as to how much the present will have changed if they nudge too hard.

Edit: and it turns out Rufus is evil, and if they actually follow his instructions Bad Things(tm) will happen.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases