D&D 5E Is there a spell....?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Is there a spell that can essentially identify a monster's weaknesses, resistance, vulnerability, and origins (what plane it comes from, or what it's type is)?

A newer player in our group asked me that. My first thought was Identify, but not quite. Anyone know of any spell otherwise?

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
I'm not aware of any such spell. The closest I can find is legend lore, which can be used to learn "significant lore" about a "person, place, or object." Depending on how liberally the DM interprets "person" and "significant lore," this could provide some of the information the player wants. But that's a 5th-level spell with a 10-minute casting time, so not real effective against a monster in your face.

However, a ranger with the Monster Slayer subclass gets Hunter's Sense, an ability which lets you use your action to look at a monster and identify its immunities, resistances, and vulnerabilities.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Well, I might start with the arcana skill. Seriously. You might not get that whole list, but it could get some basic info. Then hit a library. Obviously that won't work in the field of course. I'm not sure I want a spell that fills the design space of tell me all the game rules for this creature I've never seen though. Kinda takes the fun out of things IMO.

Is there a spell that can essentially identify a monster's weaknesses, resistance, vulnerability, and origins (what plane it comes from, or what it's type is)?

A newer player in our group asked me that. My first was Identify, but not quite. Anyone know of any spell otherwise?

I'd go with the solution proposed by Fenris-77, either an arcana check or a nature check depending on whether the monster. As weird as some of the things are (Owlbear? Bulette) they are just regular animals.

As DC, I use the CR of the monster for basic knowledge (nothing useful in fight), CR+5 to know resistance and vulnerability and main feature CR+10 to know weakest and best save, CR+15 "go look at the MM entry". Since I customize monsters characters can have some surprise if the player assumes OOC knowledge to hold water. I ask for the roll to be made at advantage if there is some reason for the character to have a specific familiarity with it and disadvantage (more often) when the monster is especially obscure. Unique creature with no legend about them can't be "remembered from studies" of course (usually BBEG only).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Legend Lore is along the right track, but too powerful. The player is looking for a Volo-like spell for his character's "guide". Maybe a homebrew level 3 spell, somewhere in between Identify and Legend Lore?

Thanks for the ideas.

Failed save, caster learns HP max, and 2 of the other things?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
As a player wanting this information, I would have the character attempt to recall lore, specifically telling the DM what information the character is trying to recall and how he or she might have had access to that information in the past. Then I'd dummy up and wait for the DM to give me the info, ask me to make an ability check, or tell me I can't recall it. Such an effort likely costs me no resources (unlike a spell) and, in most games, won't have a consequence for failure that will leave me worse off than when I started.

Fenris447

Explorer
For what it's worth, the Monster Slayer Ranger subclass can use an action to learn resistances, vulnerabilities, and immunities of a creature.

Remove ads